Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to participate in the forum. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: forgerr

Joined: 4/26/2012
Posts: 19
GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:


Traveler Since: 2008

November 06, 2013

I see that on the ship, ea cabin has a 110 volt in the bathroom and 220 in the balance of the cabin. I would think that there is more 110 needed than one outlet. Can I assume that a converter is or can be used in the 220 without and adapter?

Author: pauline

Joined: 3/9/2010
Posts: 1,059
GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 06, 2013

in my experience, the outlets in bathrooms are for electric shavers only.  And there's a sign posted to that effect.  Blow dryers in bathrooms, if they're located there, are attached to the wall.  But I have found them in very strange places in the bedrooms.

Author: singsling

Joined: 6/23/2010
Posts: 250
GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1995

November 06, 2013

We just came off both a river cruise and a small ship cruise.  On both ships, there was a 110 V outlet alongside a 220V outlet at the desk.  In both bathrooms, the 110V identified strictly for shavers was covered and not usable.  The 110 V at the desk was the only 110 V outlet there and we did not have to use an adapter with it.  But, I don't know the wattage that could be used there, such as hair dryer, travel iron or high wattage curling unit. Electronic appliances are usually very low wattage.  The hair dryer was in the desk drawer on the small ship and I used it in the 220 outlet since the provided hair dryer was 220V.  So, it must be for high wattage use.

If your appliances are 110/220V , 50/60 hz you only need to have the European adapter, or Asia adapter, etc. and plug your appliance in the adapter, then plug the adapter  into the wall outlet.  There are several types adapter, so look in your traveler handbook for the types you will use for your cruise.  Adapters in other countries/continents are different, as well as ones in Great Britain.  The prongs are entirely different. 

If you do not have appliances that are 110/220V,and use an adapter and plug into a 220 V outlet, you will burn up your appliance.  If you have a 110/220V  but only a 60 hz appliance, then the appliance will run slow or cooler such as  hair dryer/curling iron.

Sometimes using a converter can ruin or burn up your appliance.  If you bought a converter, be sure to read the information and instructions.  The converter/plug adapter sets we ever bought had limitation on what could be used to charge in a 220V outlet with an adapter.  Could damage your device.

110/220V 50/60 hz appliances are: most electronics like e-readers, camera charging devices, laptop/netbooks/ tablets, etc.  plus medical devices  like CPAP or portable oxygen machines,   and dual voltage curling irons, hair dryers.  This information is usually on the back of an appliance or charging unit, sometimes so obscure to read if it is black embossed lettering on black. 

Author: nanaandpapa

Joined: 3/30/2011
Posts: 724
GCT Trips Taken: 14
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Antarctica, Argentina, Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

November 06, 2013

 In general, a ship operating in a country uses the same voltage and plug configuration of the country, but Panama uses 110/120 with plug type a & b, so I have no idea what  the 220 plug configuration would be.  You need to hear from someone that has been on this ship, not a European river ship or small ocean going ship. Most modern electrical devices, such as battery chargers and computers will  handel their own voltage conversion, but you will probably need a plug adaptor of some sort. There are adaptors that handle almost all of the world's plugs or kits of multiple adaptors that handle just about all possibilities. If you don't hear anything specific on this ship, I would suggest one of these alternatives. I would also suggest a minippowerstrip with US style plugs to allow simultaneous use by multiple dual voltage devices, off of one plug  adapter .

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.