Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: karenbdunn

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2008

March 24, 2013

A friend and I are going on the Eastern Europe to the Black Sea  cruise (with the extensions to Istanbul and Prague) in June.  I've read all the reviews of this trip, but no one went into detail about the best places to browse and purchase good quality folk art & souveniers at the stops on the cruise.  Most of the time I like to avoid the factories, etc. to which we are taken; I'd rather support the small villages and local people.

If you have taken this trip in the past and have any recommendations - including the currency used to purchase these items - I would really appreciate your comments.  Both of us are seasoned, many-time travelers with OAT and GCT, so we're accustomed to the opportunities they offer the "shoppers" on a trip.

Thanks for taking the time to read my request.

KBD in NM

Author: bigredfrog

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2012

March 25, 2013

We found the street artists on Castle Hill in Budapest (by the Fisherman's Bastion) to have some quality works. Also those near the synagogue. Of course, the Charles Bridge artists in Prague should be on your list, too.  If your taste runs to icons, you can find good ones just about anywhere in Bulgaria -- our favorites were in Veliko Trnovo, especially the little one-artist shops where you can watch them being crafted.

In Kalocsa we opted to visit the town rather than take the included tour (I think it was to a horse farm and paprika museum).  We found a bookstore with some local maps and prints, and there were several other shops that looked interesting once you get past the farmers market area (although that was pretty interesting, too!).

If you go to Bran Castle in Romania you can find some locally-made ceramics in the commercial area outside the castle, but most of the merchandise there was pure schlock.

I hasten to add that we are not folk art connoisseurs and that our tastes are fairly simple, but we do try to scope out locally-made products on our travels and these are the things we enjoyed the most on that trip (which we took in April 2012).

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.