Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dgevry

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

November 14, 2012

Does anyone know if this cruise has been cancelled for 2013? A few days ago I was perusing the web site and noticed that all dates for 2013 said "sold out".  I hardly think this is possible because I don't think the trip was selling very fast. It looked like an interesting trip - not on the top of my bucket list, but in a few years. Just wondering.

Author: pegheeter1

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2001

November 14, 2012

I'd like to know also - if it truly is popular enough to "sell out" this quickly, surely more sailings will be added?  

Thanks for noticing this.

Author: njoma2

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2005

November 14, 2012

A friend of mine was scheduled to do this trip in April 2013.  GCT called her today to tell her the trip has been cancelled (all departures) because they were having too many problems with the foreign governments.  Of course, she is getting a full refund.  I'm sure if you call GCT you can get more info.

Author: singsling

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1995

November 15, 2012

Yes, it seems all Dneiper river cruises are cancelled.  If you haven't heard from GCt by now, it's because they are busy on the phone calling all the people booked.  I did not call GCT, about this, the agent thought I had called her about the Ukraine trip,  and so she returned the call--but it wasn't me, as I didn't call GCT--this was yesterday Nov 14   But  she said while she had me on the phone, she gave me that news.

They have some dedicated people to call every passenger booked.  There are compensations offered or full refund. You can get that info from GCT.  By the end of this week, I would imagine all will have been called.

After my discussion with GCT, my husband and I were able to get our GCT books out..  It took us about 10 minutes to select a substitute.  The agent told me to leave a message if I wanted to rebook or cancel-she would call me back for sure.

Then, I left messages on the personalized telephone number she gave, direct to her desk, not to the "call center" bank.  In the message I gave her the exact departure date, name of cruise, cabin I wanted, and time to call me, I got a return call, as promised, tthis morning, Nov 15.  We finalized the booking on the phone a few minutes ago.  She works  with back to back bookings mostly.

We chose to book another river cruise, one we hadn't been on and hadn't planned on, so it worked well for  us.  The departure date and ending date enabled us not to have to cancel the second cruise we booked back to back.  Of course, we will have to fly to that city when the rest of the first cruise flys home, spend 3 days in a hotel at our own expense, but we have done this before and we can book a tour or two in that city to "kill" the time while we wait for the second cruise people to arrive.  GCT can arrange the reservation and the price is unbeatable. 

Yeah, we were a little disappointed, but after her explanation, my husband and I  talked about it, and I figured, that is the travel industry.  I've talked with travel agents, and companies, but I'd rather stick with GCT.  I'm not going to stop using GCT when I know just what I'm getting with them.  At least, if it's a land tour, it's mostly multiple nights in a hotel, unlike the most well known companies, that get you in a hotel at 6:00 PM, and suitcases out by 6:00 am.  Not for me at all.

I hope all works out for the rest of you guys.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Argentina, Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

November 15, 2012

I just returned from the GCT office in Boston. The problem seems to be in transfering the ship from Russia to Ukraine. The costs involved make it impossible to profitably run the trip and keep the price at a level that would make the trip attractive. The are hoping to be able to get this resolved for the 2014 season.  I hope that there is sufficient demand for Russian Revealed or new itoinerary in Russia to keep the Tikhi Don operating.

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0

November 16, 2012

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your comments regarding our Dneiper River Cruise.

We've made the difficult decision to cancel all 2013 departures to the Dnieper River. Throughout the planning stages of this new trip, we worked with various Ukrainian regulatory agencies; based on the feedback we were receiving, we were confident that we would be ready to sail the Dnieper in April 2013. It came to light last week, however, that despite our best efforts--in Boston and on the ground in Ukraine--we would not receive the permissions needed to launch this trip next year.

We have formed a dedicated team that is currently in the process of contacting all travelers affected by this cancellation. We are offering them the option to reserve another trip or receive a full refund, with our apologies.

Kind Regards,

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.