Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jiminatl

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2007

August 24, 2010

Have you ordered a Kindle reader while traveling? Do you like it?

Would you recommend buying one? Listening to Van Gogh is now available on Kindle. I am interested in your comments, please.

Author: retiredrn365

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Thailand, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Costa Del Sol, Great Rivers of Europe

Traveler Since: 2001

August 24, 2010

I have a kindel and use it all the time. Fabulous for traveling. Easy to recharge-just download a bunchof books before leaving and its always at your fingertips-fits esily in my travel purse. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Author: garrygee

August 25, 2010

I've had my "Nook" since last Christmas and love it so much I just bought my wife one for her birthday 8/24 so she can get it loaded up for our trip to Kiev/Russia.  Sure easier than carrying a bunch of books.  It makes reading easier too.

Author: jiminatl

August 25, 2010

Thanks to all responders.

Author: walnutrij

Traveler Since: 2006

September 12, 2010

My Kindle has now been on three trips, and it's wonderful.  Think of the weight I have saved in my bags, or the time I used to waste looking for English-language books when the book supply I carried was exhausted.  I just bought the latest version Kindle, which promises a month of battery time.  That should hold me! 

Author: afairportfan

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

September 26, 2010

I've been using a Sony e-Reader for 3 years and I LOVE it!  It doesn't connect to the internet like a Kindle, but all I want it for is to store and read books.  Besides having an internal memory, the Sony takes SD cards, so the capacity is infinite (I've got about 100 books on an SD card and have used only 10% of available space!).  It takes no time at all to download books onto my computer and load them onto the Sony, and the Sony ebook website often has bargain-priced and/or free books available.  It's the one thing I'd never travel without.  As far as charging the eReader, I have a current converter to plug into power outlets overseas, a battery charger (takes 4 AA batteries), and a solar charger that works well when it's sunny.  On our latest river cruise, I only charged the eReader on board the boat, didn't need the battery charger at all.  Prices are going down on electronic readers and there are many more brands available than there were 3 years ago.  Just research the different features available...Good luck and happy travels!

Author: cmbaker69

Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

52 countries and 49 states and counting. Most recent international trips were Belize/Tikal for Mayan ruins and OAT's Safari Serengeti. The OAT trip remains the best trip I've ever taken as a tourist, and this was my 5th subsaharan trip/3rd safari type.

Traveler Since: 2000

September 27, 2010

May I confirm the post on the Sony? I selected the Sony Pocket Reader because it is the smallest of the current crop of readers. Prior to this I used an eBookman, which was even smaller. The Sony battery seems to last through about 40 hours of use, so I've never had battery problems, even on overseas flights. Sony also recognizes PDF and Word/text files, so I store all my itineraries and confirmations on it prior to a trip. Whichever reader you select, enjoy it.

Author: elna

Countries Visited:

France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Austalia, Finland, Estonia, England, Scotland, Wales, Pakistan, Singapore,

Traveler Since: 2009

October 02, 2010

Bought a Kindle before our Russia Revealed trip. I downloaded a few books before departing, but didn't have much time for reading on the trip-- very busy sightseeing and meeting new friends. However I DID download newspapers on a couple of days-- forgetting that we had several hours time difference and was getting yesterdays news. The ship/boat had CNN, BBC and a couple of other English speaking TV channels for news. We may need a second Kindle for our next trip-- hard to share it when traveling.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 02, 2010

I also bought a Kindle before my Russia Revealed trip and, like Elna, I didn't have much time to read.  I was so busy with all the sightseeing.  It really makes such good sense to have one. Books used to take up quite a large space in my suitcase, even though I limited them to paperbacks.

Author: singsling

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

September 06, 2011

I, too, enjoy my eReader, a PanDigital (after returning my Nook).  I downloaded/purchased about 26 books of varying lengths, and eliminated about 8 paperbacks.  All of the eReaders' chargers I looked at were 110/240V, so all that I needed to recharge was a plug adapter US to European; I would recharge at night after I was finished reading.  I have adapters for Britain, Australia, Africa, Asia and Europe.  As far as time to read, I am a light sleeper and often am up 2-3 hours during the night; rather than toss and turn, I turn on my eReader, select my book, turn on black screen/white letters and don't  have to disturb my husband with the light on in the room.  If we had a cruising day, I would take my eReader to the lounge to see the scenery; between miles of just trees and little towns, I would get in a few paragraphs on my eReader when I wasn't people watching or ah'd by the beautiful scenery.  Now my husband has his own reader, so he can eliminate a few books as well.  Sometimes while sitting on a balcony or on the sun deck near a town, we even could read our email if we could get a signal. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.