Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: swafford1

Trips Taken: 0

February 15, 2014

My husband took a hydration pack to Egypt and it was very handy.  It's a backpack with a bladder of water and a long straw for drinking.

Since he is not going to Turkey with me, I'll have to carry this myself if I take it.  Does anybody who's been to Turkey recommend the hydration backpack?  I'm going on Crossroads of Turkey.

Author: svncontinents

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2007

February 15, 2014

We took the OAT Eastern Turkey trip, which is more strenuous than the trip you're taking, and had no need for any special accommodations for water.  A simple bottle of water placed in the holder on our backpacks was more than sufficient, and which we rarely used, and usually had with us at the end of the day.  OAT provides water every day, which Grand Circle trips don't, but bolltled water is inexpensive enough to purchase. We recommend this simple method.  Turkey is not as dry as Egypt.

Author: tickledpink

Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Rhine & Danube Christmas markets cruises, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, UK, Ireland, most of Western Europe, Scandinavia, Leningrad no-visa cruise from Helsinki in '78, Hawaii, Alaska, NYC, Florida, Arizona & Utah national parks, Sedona and North Dakota.

Traveler Since: 1995

February 15, 2014

When I did Crossroads of Turkey in May 2011, the bus driver stocked water in the bus - 2 bottles for $1. We all took advantage of the deal and stayed well hydrated. It's a great trip! svncontinents is right - Turkey is definitely not as dry as Egypt! May was a great time of year to travel in Turkey with all the wildflowers blooming.

Jane

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

February 16, 2014
I drink a lot of water and don't recall having any problem getting bottled water on the Crossroads trip. I don't remember whether it was available on the bus as it was in Egypt. I don't think that it was because I remember buying a large bottle on a stop somewhere in the countryside. I always bring my own water bottle and have a shoulder carrier -- or keep it in my purse. I buy the large bottles and refill my own as needed. I see no reason for a hydration pack -- there are no long hikes and on the long rides the bus stops every few hours for a break and there were usually small shops for water and snacks.

Author: merleo

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 1996

February 18, 2014

I doubt you will need a hydration pack on this trip. If you have a backpack or shoulder harness, carry your bottled water in a manageable size with you as some of the venues are hot with lots of walking involved. Bottled water is available nearly everywhere including on the bus (cooled) for 1 Turkish lira ($.50) Our PD worked it out with our driver to provide the bottled water. I noticed that on included breakfasts/dinners/lunch, regular and sometimes large sealed bottles of water were on the tables reserved for GCT and many would refill their bottles with whatever was left over on the table. And, if I recall correctly, a "complementary" bottle is in the room on your first night in each hotel. Be sure that you use the complementary bottle as there is also a bottle that the hotel charges for.  I was there late October early November 2013 and like another poster said, rest stops are every few hours usually at shops that sell water and snacks.  I recommend that you keep on hand a few 1 TRY liras for bathroom breaks as some will charge for use.  This is a great trip and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  In fact I liked the country so much I would have returned to Turkey this year, had I not already planned another OAT trip

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.