Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: merleo

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1996

April 15, 2013

Countdown:  192 days and I'm so excited.  I'm going on this trip in October.  I've read the reviews  - all positive - but would like know if the groups ever go to 38.  I usually travel with OAT (10-16 in a group). With this trip I will have a few days in Istanbul which I would have opted for with OAT.  I requested the extension to Adana and Urfu but notice it was taken off my current itinerary so I thought they probably didn't have anough travelers or maybe had too many..Are walking sandals ok at that time of year or should I take hiking boots? I'm thinking that shoes are removed when visiting a mosque and lace-ups are more time consuming. Also, has anyone been on Turkish Air? I'm booked on this airline since it's a direct flight to Istanbul from LAX. I've never been in Premier Economy before so wonder if it's an advantage. Has anyone been in this class?  I read the reviews online, some good some not so good including the service by atttendants. Would appreciate any feedback.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

April 16, 2013

We had a full group on my October trip a few years ago, it's a popular trip. The weather was great, hardly ever needed a jacket. I swam in the Med in Antalya and I don't like cold water.

You have to remove your shoes for the mosque visit and we were asked to remove our shoes at the home-hosted lunch, so that was only twice on the entire trip. Sandals are fine, some people on our trip wore them; I think I used lace-ups for some sites where we'd be walking through dirt and a sneaker-type slide that is easy to take off for others. I don't think you need hiking shoes, but might want socks for the mosque and the lunch.

We had good weather and I even swam in the Med in Antalya and I don't like cold water. I think the sea was warmer than the hotel pool.

It was a great trip, one of my favorites, but there are some long bus rides. That didn't bother me, I thought the scenery and the destinations were interesting, but some people complained, which I don't understand because it is clear in the itinerary that there would be long bus rides. There is a map on this web site that clearly shows that there will be a lot of area traveled.

Turkish Air is fine, as good or better than some American airlines. I don't know about their premium economy, I've only used it on Delta and was glad that I did for the extra leg room.

The hot air balloon ride in Cappadoccia is wonderful. I hope you're taking extra days in Istanbul, it's amazing; I yearn to return.

Author: merleo

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1996

April 16, 2013

luisa, thanks so much for your input.  I'm so looking forward to this trip which has been in my bucket list for a long time.  I'll take your suggestion and leave the hiking boots at home but will have a few pair of 'mis-matched' socks and lace up slides.  Like you, I don't mind the long bus rides, gives me time to journal if the roads aren't too bumpy and enjoy the scenery. I do plan the balloon ride weather permitting.  I'm a light packer and am counting on the hotels' laundry to keep me in clean clothes assuming the hotels have laundry service. I checked online for premium economy/plus seatings and the reviews and arrangements look fine.  I think I'll survive the 9-10 hour flight. 

Author: tickleddpink

June 15, 2013

merleo -

I did this trip in May 2011 and it was fabulous! Rana Erol, our PD was the best, too. But I wanted to let you know about my experience with Comfort Class on Turkish Airlines - OMG!! The leg room was the best - 44" inches I think. The seats were fine and the food was great. It was well worth the extra money. I flew from LAX to Istanbul nonstop, unlike some of my other fellow travelers from the West Coast - they had 3 flights to get there.

Enjoy!

Jane

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.