Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: lucifer

GCT Trips Taken: 16
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2001

November 20, 2011

We have taken l8 trips with grand cirlce and this trip was much better than anticipated.  We took the Oct 2 trip and it was not so hot.

Our guide Gueileo was one of the best guides we have ever had.  You only stay in 3 hotels and take side trips from your hotel. 

Optional trips.  Assisi and Sienna are worth taking with your guide.  Sorrentine Adventure we did not do as we had plenty of places to eat pizza.  The Isle of Capri we did on our own for l/2 the cost.  Pompeii you need a guide but the Museum of Naples was tiring as we walked around Pompeii all morning over rough terrain.  Great trip.

Sharon Wackley

Author: garywhit

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 1997

November 25, 2011

I really enjoyed this trip mainly because we visited many places which I had never had the opportunity to visit before.  Tuscany was quiet for the most part until we toured the city of Florence.  Florence was alive with tourists even though we were visiting in late October. Throughout the region the rolling hills dotted with stately cypress trees created a lasting impression of this beautiful region of Italy.

The Amalfi coast was a sharp contrast to the general serenity of the Tuscan region.  The weather is a bit warmer and the people seem more vivacious and outgoing.  The cities were more alive with tourists and traffic.  We stayed in a good hotel in Sorrento for the entire period of our Amalfi visit, and from this point we took daily excursions to the various sites of interest throughout the Amalfi region.  As has been mentioned before, several of us did not take the planned excursion to Capri and instead went on our own for the day.  It is easy to get there and back and once there we were able to see only the parts of the island we wanted to see rather than go along with a guided tour.  The other of advantage of doing it on our own was the price, about half of what the regular tour would have cost.

Overall, I have to give the trip and our program director, Simone, an excellent grade.  This was my 15th trip with the GCT/OAT and it was one of the most enjoyable.

Author: linmill

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

February 02, 2012

We are going on the Tuscany and Amalfi Coast tour on June 12.  We will be staying at the Satellite Palace Hotel in Ostia for the first night.  We have read several negative reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor and wondered what GCT traverlers thought of this hotel.

Lin-Mill

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

February 02, 2012

Keep in mind that it is only one night, and you can tolerate anything for one night. I had the misfortune of staying at the Satelite Palace on the LAST night of the Sicily and Malta tour in 2011. Because of the excellance of the the lodgings for the previous three weeks, this last taste of Italy was pretty distasteful. The rooms are old and not particularly clean. It is "out of the way" but that is not too much of a problem since you will not have the time to do anything while you are there. Ostia Antigua would be a nice visit, but you won't have time for that. The snacks and drinks we received on arrival at the hotel were not bad but awkwardly laid out, without any assistance available. Part of my displeasure stemmed from the transportation between the hotel and the airport. The traffic was horrendous and the road was almost all under construction. That had nothing to do with the hotel itself, but helped to color the memory.

Author: linmill

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2011

February 04, 2012

Thanks for the information regarding the Satellite Palace Hotel.  We will arrive in Rome the day before the tour starts and we are trying to decide whether we should stay at the Satellite Palace Hotel or somewhere else.

LinMill

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.