Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: goleta

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2000

March 14, 2013

Anyone going on this tour?  Will be doing the pre and post trips.  Hopefully we will have good weather.  I am told June is a good month weather-wise.

Author: pamvaughan11

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

China twice, Japan, SE Asia, England and Ireland multiple times, other European countries, Guatemala twice, East Africa.

Traveler Since: 2012

March 17, 2013

I'm not going on this trip, but I can address the weather issues.  June can be great weather-wise or terrible. You can't depend on British weather. My in-laws live there. I always carry an umbrella even if it looks fine in the morning. Things can happen by noon. I've been there in May when it was snowing like crazy. In Exmoor, it was snowing in April. I've been there plenty of times in the summer usually for 6 weeks at a time- Some summers it was drought-ridden. Some summers it rained every day. When I go to England in the summer, I dress in layers. Light weight merino wool cardigans are great layering pieces and look nice.

March 17, 2013

Thanks Pam.  I so do not have the right clothes.  I usually travel in the mid to late summer to ensure a reasonable chance of some warmth or I go to the tropics.  I will make the best of whatever the weather. I just hate packing for layers.  I like to travel light.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

March 18, 2013

Pack light and then buy a nice sweater when you're there if you need one. I went to Ireland one year when I was getting reports that the weather was warm and wonderful but became cold and rainy shortly after I arrived. I had a raincoat and a cotton sweater -- not warm enough.

I bought a couple of sweaters in Ireland, one of which I'm wearing now since it's a bit chilly here this morning. The sweaters that I bought were made in  southwestIreland, designed based upon local colors (heather, flowers, etc.). I get compliments every time I wear one.

On my recent annual physical, my doctor was wearing a beautiful cashmere sweater; she told me her husband had bought it for her in Scotland.

Have a great trip and please post a report when you return.

March 22, 2013

Thank you Luisa.  A great idea.  I will buy what I need there to keep warm if needed.  I do have a light jacket that wasn't warm enough in San Francisco on July 4th.  I had to buy a jacket there and is too bulky to pack.

I will post my thoughts after I return.

Author: maggieburke

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 23, 2013

You can also get a thin "puffy" down jacket that folds (actually stuffs) into its own pocket. I use mine as a pillow while on planes and trains. I got mine at Northface but you can find them easily on line and there are a number of manufacturers. Really super for travel and so much more travel friendly and compact (weighs less than 2lbs.) than those spongy neck roll cresents that you see dangling from luggage all over the airport. Or, if you buy a bulky sweater on your travels, mail it home when you no longer need it or just before you return home.

March 23, 2013

I just hate having to wait for luggage once at my destination.  I like to pack a carry-on only.  I think I will buy there if I need to and ship or carry what ever I by.

I was on a layover in London last July 16th.  Hubby wanted to check baggage.  Yep, it made it two days later in Budapest.  I argued with him not to do it as we have not done so in years.  He won...........bu the heard about it for 2 days! Ha Ha!

March 24, 2013

Buy, not by! 

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Argentina, Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

March 24, 2013

Goleta,

You can correct/modify any of your own posts by clicking the "Edit". Use it to correct typos at any time, or soon after you post you can mofify the contet of your post . Changing content after people have read it can be confusing. If it wasn't for this feature, I would end  up with quite a few confusing posts. As often as I reread the post, I seldom see all of the errors until I click on "Paot".

March 24, 2013

Thanks for the editing tips.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.