Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: doe409

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Along with Carribean cruises I have travelled to Ireland, Costa Rica and in 2014 will go to Italy. I love national parks so I have been to many of them. Maine, Vermont, DC, Mt Rushmore area, parks of the Southwest, Oregon Coast, Hawaii, Colorado, Alaska, Canadian Rockies, San Fransico area.

Traveler Since: 2012

October 26, 2012

I really would lke to take this trip either spring or fall 2013. I will be a solo traveller and want to know if there are any other solo females that would be willing to share free time and meals with me. I often travel on domestic trips alone but would prefer not to be wandering around a foreign country alone looking for resturants or walking back to the hotel sometimes in evenings.

Author: singsling

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 1995

October 26, 2012

Have you tried to register with GCT for a traveling partner.  Under COMMUNITY, there is a section called Travel Companions.  Also, call customer service and ask to speak to someone on this. 

If you read some of the threads from other quetions, there are several people who are solo women who probably will respond to your question.  They seem like really nice people. 

Countries Visited:

Along with Carribean cruises I have travelled to Ireland, Costa Rica and in 2014 will go to Italy. I love national parks so I have been to many of them. Maine, Vermont, DC, Mt Rushmore area, parks of the Southwest, Oregon Coast, Hawaii, Colorado, Alaska, Canadian Rockies, San Fransico area.

October 26, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions but I have tried that. I e-mailed a few women that had this trip on their wishlist and also called GCT but they would only tell me that there were some singles on certain dates but couldn't tell me if they were travelling with another single & won't pass on my e-mail unless I book. Can't do that because then if there were no singles I would be stuck. I'm not necessarily looking for a roommate, just someone to spend free time with. Wish they would, with permission, pass on e-mails since many don't blog or check this site and GCT is probably going to lose out on my reservation.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Argentina, Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 26, 2012

There has been some concern over a scam using the companion fuctionality. This may be why they are being overly concerned with passing on information. See http://www.gct.com/Community/Travel-Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3101.

Author: gmb1220

October 27, 2012

I'm also a single women traveling alone and have traveled through much of Western Europe on my own.  However, going to more exotic locations and somewhat older, I've started taking tours--my first with GCT will be China on their 11/6 trip. I have found in my previous tours, that there are always other single women that you can relate with.  On one trip, where there were only 3 single women, the married women became our friends as well.  Never fear on a tour--you'll be at home with your fellow adventurers.  Relax and enjoy.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 27, 2012

My last few GCT trips have been solo, and I have never felt alone or lonely.  There are always other people traveling solo, most of whom welcome each other.  And couples and groups are always welcoming.  Just plan to enjoy yourself.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 27, 2012

Between OAT and GCT, I've taken eight trips and there have always been women traveling solo. Grand Circle has pretty large groups and you'll get to know others fairly quickly, sitting with them at breakfast, on the bus, etc. 

On my last trip there were four other women traveling solo.

I don't know how many meals "on your own" there are on that trip, but on my trips there have been as many as eight or ten people (singles and couple)  get together for dinner, and a few times I was invited to go along with women traveling together. Don't rule out couples either, some have been very friendly.

There are usually restaurants close to the hotels and many hotels where we've stayed have decent restaurants. A few times I've ordered room service and enjoyed (really!) having dinner in my room and reading or watching local TV, especially after a long day of sightseeing or traveling by bus. I've also gone to markets and gotten takeout and eaten in a park or in my room at night.

As for free time, do some research before you go to decide what you'd like to see. If there is something special, a museum, a shop, street market, etc, you could ask if anyone wants to join you, if not, strike out on your own.

I've found the days are full so I have no interest in wandering around at night.

Don't worry about being alone, you won't be.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 27, 2012

doe49:  we were on Ireland  in Depth this summer; there had to be at least 15 single women on that trip, seemed more than couples, since we were just 32 people.  2 men seemed to be alone; they sometimes joined up at meals.  But some women came in pairs and some came single and paired with the other singles; some joined with couples.  If you've come t his far as to start traveling alone, just go and enjoy.  You will surely meet some other woman who is also alone.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 27, 2012

doe49: You asked about solo women and I mentioned that there were four others on my last trip. On other trips there have been many women, often friends who are married whose husbands don't like to travel and also sisters and female friends traveling together but I did not mention them because you are asking about solo travelers.In any event it's very likely that the women will outnumber the men and you will find some to spend time with.

Once again, I would not worry about booking the Tuscany trip as a solo.

Countries Visited:

October 27, 2012

I just returned from Ireland 10/15 and maybe this trip was just different but everyone was paired with someone except 2 men. I had origionally booked alone but found someone to go with me prior to the trip. We did pair up with 2 other ladies that were rooming together but if I had not met the lady beforehand I would of been alone or would of had to ask to join someone. I am not shy & probably would have. It seemed that most stayed with their pair in free time. If I can't find another single and want to go bad enough then I will just probably take my chances.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

October 28, 2012

My last trip was also to Ireland.  There were 7 solo travelers, although two were accompanying friends.  One was traveling with two sisters, who were her cousins.  The other, with a married couple.  That left 5 actual solo travelers, which is more than GCT says they accept on a single tour.  However, for some of us it wasn't the date we had originally booked.  Anyway, everyone was welcoming.  I don't remember ever having to actually ask to join anyone; they usually invited me before I could get the words out.

Most people are on the trip to have a good time, and I believe you will too.

Author: aspengal

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

A partial list: Best of Kenya+Tanzania Safari(OAT), Peru(OAT), Canada(GCT), Thailand+Cambodia+Laos(OAT), Morocco(OAT), Egypt+Jordan(GCT), Australia(OAT), China(GCT), Ireland(GCT), Turkey, Tuscany+Amalfi Coast(GCT), Prague, Greece(sailing), the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Mexico (20+ visits), Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Jamaica (5 visits), Grenada + the Grenadines (w/Windjammer cruise), plus travel within the U.S.

November 03, 2012

I've traveled 'single' on all but 2 of my OAT/GCT trips, and haven't had any problem with feeling 'excluded' from the other travelers, including couples and groups of friends traveling together.   Have an open mind, make a point of introducing yourself everyone early on, sit next to someone different the first few meals, and by the 3rd day you'll be feeling comfortable and at ease with your Tour Director and fellow travelers.

Author: kristenc

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Europe, Russia

November 10, 2012

Hi Doe409,

I have also been giving some consideration to this trip in spring 2013. My husband does not want to fly and I would be traveling alone also. I do not want a roommate, but a companion would be nice. I'm not sure I can afford it, but it's a trip I think I would like. Let's communicate some more. kristen

Countries Visited:

November 14, 2012

Hi Kristen,

I just happened to see your post and would love to discuss a trip to Italy in the spring. Please e-mail me at drebovich@atlanticbb.net.  Dolores

Author: hosieskc

Traveler Since: 2010

January 24, 2013

I'm planning to take this trip in March, and would like to know what to expect weather-wise and what clothes should I pack.

Author: ginirn

Countries Visited:

US including Hawaii. Ireland twice., Italy, UK, multiple cruises

Traveler Since: 2013

January 30, 2013

I am booked for the Tuscany/Amalfi Coast tour starting 3/30, Traveling solo.  If interested you can contact me.

January 30, 2013

We are taking the tour Tuscany, Riviera & Alps, with pre-trips to Rome and Venice, starting March 8, and  would like to hear from other travelers in this group.

Author: mariehurd

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2013

January 30, 2013

I am also  going on the Tuscany, Riviera, & Alps tour on March 8th with the Rome pre-trip.   I will be traveling solo, because my husband doesn't like to fly that far.   I've traveled before by myself, so it doesn't bother me.  This will be my first trip to Italy and first trip with Grand Circle and I have heard wonderful things about both.  I'll be flying out of Atlanta.  Look forward to meeting you.  Angela Allen

aca1952@yahoo.com

February 04, 2013

Hi Angela! We are also looking forward meeting you!  We are flying out of Detroit.  This is the third time we will travel with Grand Circle, it is a great company, the trips were well-organized and the tour guides were  excellent. We met several persons traveling solo and they were very satisfied with the service they received from GC.I have not been to Italy before, my husband has, but a long time ago.

I hope we have good weather, it will probably be cold in the Alps region this time of the year, so I'm planning to pack a mix of winter and spring clothes. See you in Rome!  Mercedes

hosenbergwerner@aol.com

Author: joejaneg

GCT Trips Taken: 1

April 20, 2013

Does anyone know the address of a good poster store in Rome?

thanx

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.