Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: avalarue

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2008

May 29, 2012

We just got our final papers for this trip (June 25) and the Optional to the Pont du Gard is not listed. I checked the website and that optional has been removed. What happened? That was one of our anticipated outings. We are so disappointed.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

May 29, 2012

Four of our family members took this trip in April, 2012.  They were very disappointed that the Pont du Gard optional was not available, but managed to arrange to see it anyway.

The day before you plan to go, your program director can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the ship to take you there. The journey takes about forty minutes. You have to have the taxi wait for the hour it takes to visit the site, for it is out by itself and is fairly isolated (from taxi stands, anyway.)  Then it takes another forty minutes to travel back to the ship. They really enjoyed their visit there, and have enthusiastically talked about it a lot.

The cost of this, for four people, was $95. The taxi fare was $75, and the cost to have the taxi park and wait was $20. (I'm sure they probably tipped the driver, too.)  Still, for a cost of $25-$30 each, it was quite reasonable.

I just called one of my relatives to make sure I had all this information correct, and was asked to tell you that this is something WELL WORTH going to see.  It has stood for over 2,000 years and still looks good; the Romans really knew how to build!

June 14, 2012

Gaynell,

Do you recall if your friends were able to pay in American dollars, or did they require Euros? Or perhaps even a credit card?

I was told by GCT that they are alerting our PD of our request, so I'm very hopeful we will get to do this! Thanks for your suggestion.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

September 21, 2012

Avalarue, did you get to go to the Pont du Gard?

Author: kfields

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2010

November 24, 2012

We were on the Burgundy & Provence trip last summer.  Our program director arranged for a tour guide to drive about 10-12 of us in a van to Pont du Gard.  He also gave us a guided tour of the site which was excellent.  I am so glad that we were able to take this side trip.  We lost our free time in Avignon, but it was a good tradeoff.

Author: mctz666

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2004

November 25, 2012

If you want to use free time to visit a site that is not on optionals and is not easy to get to without your own wheels, you need to be proactive to ensure it will happen.

Just raise your hand to speak up during the first group meeting with the PD. That way other travelers having the same thought may join, and the PD can get a head count to pre-arrange private transportations for the number of participants.

November 26, 2012

Gaynell, yes we did get an independent tour to Pont du Gard. There were seven of us with a lovely guide. She gave us plenty of time to explore and see the interesting museum. Another large group took an excursion to the lavender fields. The lesson learned is, don't be afraid to ask your PD and other travelers about unincluded sides or optionals. If there's time and a way to do it, it will get done.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.