Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to participate in the forum. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pamsaunt

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2007

September 09, 2017

HI,

Noticed that every evening on Oct 1 North Ireland pre tour is on our own. I'd expect the TL to have some suggestions with pubs high on the list.

Anything or any pubs not to be missed? This request goes for the regular tour too. 

Not a big meat and potatoes gal...

September 09, 2017

Just checked Trip 'advisor and Google. Lots of possibles. Anything anyone can add from personal experience???

Author: beth.fader@gmail...

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Most Western European countries, Mexico, Caribbean, Venezuela, Hawaii, Canada and most of the US.

Traveler Since: 2014

September 11, 2017

I took this tour in 2014, did not do Northern Ireland. The food was incredible! Tons of fresh fish, the salmon was awesome! Everything (fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese, etc) was fresh, organic and delicious!  Also loved their soups - try the leek soup, the best! Actually lost some weight even though I ate well - maybe all the walking. 

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

September 12, 2017

I was not particularly fond of any of the meat dishes we had in Ireland, so I tended toward fish and vegetarian dishes. It was, at worst, tolerable, and, at best, very good. In Northern Ireland, I recall Robinson's Restaurant, just across the street from the Hotel Europa. We were told about the Crown Liquor Pub, just down the street, so we stuck our heads in. It was so crowded, our heads were all we could get in. All tables and booths were occupied and people were standing three-deep at the bar. In Derry, we went to the Ice Bar and got their fish and chips special. Other than that, I remember nothing specific.

Author: maryea

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2010

September 14, 2017

The Linen Hall Library in Belfast is great for a light lunch.  Their brown bread is a meal in itself, and soups are wonderful and its a great quiet atmosphere.  17 Donegall Square near the City Hall. Up a flight of stairs.  I ate lunch there both days I was in Belfast.

For traditional music try to catch the Raglan Rogues at Kytelers Inn, Kilkenny.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 14, 2017

I took the trip to Ireland in 2011.  Nobody in our group had opted for the pre-trip extension in Northern Ireland, so I can't speak to that.  But one thing I noticed about food during the tour that  hadn't expected were the very good soups.  And I was told it was because of the influence from the Eastern Europeans that were now living in Ireland.  The fish, of course, was wonderful.  And the hotel breakfasts were very very good.  Not just the buffets, but you could get eggs cooked to order, wth various sides to choose from.

September 14, 2017

Thank you all for your suggestions, which were exactly what I was hoping for. Hadn't thought about the soups, and I'll be certain to try them. Looking forward to the very cool weather after the ridiculously hot summer we've had here in northern CA. 

Now I've got to figure out rain shoes...

Author: maryea

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2010

September 15, 2017

For shopping woolens and Irish products I liked the shop at the Blarney Castle center.  It is huge I got a beautiful sweater on sale.  The Blarney Center also has a nice cafe for a healthy lunch.  I liked the Irish cotton hankies for gifts, come in packs of 6 plaid or white.  I also got CD's of the Raglan Rogues when I went to see them for gifts.  Another good cafe for lunch is at the Avoca textile center that they brought us to.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.