Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to participate in the forum. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: billdeer@comcast...

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2015

June 25, 2017

My wife and I are going on the August 27th trip to the Black Sea.  We are interested in communicating with anyone going on this Itinerary.  Please reply if you are going to be on this River cruise or contact me at billdeer@comcast.net.  Thank you.

Author: garyrr

OAT Trips Taken: 20
Countries Visited:

Albania, Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Belize, Botswana, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Curacao, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macau, Malaysia, Martinique, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Panama, Peoples' Republic of China, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Russia, S. Korea, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vatican City, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2000

June 26, 2017

If you're interested - here are our photos from our 2012 trip. Also a journal from that trip.

Author: crwatte

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2017

July 18, 2017

My husband and I are looking forward to meeting fellow travellers on the August 19, 2017 Eastern Europe to Black Sea cruise. We are arriving early to Prague, doing a few days on our own and then joining the Pre-trip in Prague. We are also doing the Transylvania Post-Trip. So far the weather for the trip looks warm, but not as warm as here in Southern California! 

Author: chang2225

OAT Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2011

July 19, 2017

CRWATTE - My trip leaves on 7/30, return on 8/11.  I will post trip review aftterward in that trip's site so you can check what weather will be like.  I take main trip only.

July 22, 2017

Thanks chang2225.  We'll watch for your information.  We were also interested in prices of laundry on the ship.  Enjoy your trip!  We just got our documents today and are very excited!

August 06, 2017

I am bringing back this thread to report weather and laundry info as promised previously.

My weather report may not be a good reference bc we ran into the unusual heat wave over Europe since day one.  Temp went up to 109F yesterday.  Consequently, our ship's generators broke down due to overwork.  We are currently stuck at Belgrade.  Ship staffs are working diligently on plan B.  We will have status update within 2 hours.

Ship offers laundry service - shirt/blouse €4, t-shirt €3, skirt €4, trousers €4,etc.  20% off today (one time only for the trip).  pressing only is also available at lower price.  

Budapest is beautiful, lots to see and do.  Croatia and Serbia are more low key.  

Please let me know if you need more info and I will try to answer.

August 07, 2017

Chang2225 - So sorry you are having such hot weather and mechanical problems with the boat!  We have been checking the weather for our trip beginning August 12 and it looks like it will be cooling off somewhat.  We are going to Prague 2 days early and then joining the Pretrip before getting on the Adagio August 19.  Thank you for the prices for the laundry.  I wish GC would include that info as it helps to determine how much to pack!

Hopefully you have continued your cruise by now and are on your way to Bulgaria.

August 08, 2017

CRWATTE - you are welcome.

it rained on the night before we left Belgrade.  Weather cools down a lot afterward into mid to high 80s.  Very comfortable in am and late pm, even gorgeous with breeze.  I think your trip will be nice, weather wise.

We arrived Bucharest today after two days bus ride with stops at Sofia (capital of Bulgaria), Veliko Tărnovo and Arbanassi.  Since we are at Bucharest, we have to take 3 hours bus ride to the Black Sea then 3 hours bus back.  Some people opted out due to the long ride.

Our ship is still at Belgrade waiting for parts.  If ship can't be fixed in time, the next group will be bused too.

Author: osurug@zoominter...

Traveler Since: 2013

August 08, 2017

Hi Chang2225,  what ship are you on. Hope thet get it going and you enjoy the rest of your trip. Sometimes things happen and you just have to make the best of it.

August 08, 2017

We were on M/S Aria.

Thank you.  Yes, we all realize this is something unexpected and try to be positive.  Even through GC is doing everything they can to make the rest of the trip as smooth as possible, it is undeniable that disappointment of missing the best part of the Danube, exhausting long bus drive and extra pack/unpack luggage for hotel change is upsetting.

Fortunately, weather cooled down on the day of our long bus drive.  Otherwise, based on the poor bus a/c condition for our earlier city tour and optional tour, I don't believe elder travelers could make it.

Hope this won't happen to the coming Aria passengers.

August 08, 2017

Chang2225 Glad you made it to Bucharest and that the weather has cooled a bit. Hope the rest of your trip goes alright.

August 09, 2017

Crwatte - we visited the Black Sea today.  Weather is gorgeous with light breeze.  We even had to stand in the sun to keep ourselves warm.  Therefore, you will need to bring a light jacket.

The new group checked in today at our hotel.  I heard GCT is bringing a ship from Austria for them.

Author: janice.

GCT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 1999

August 09, 2017

Hi Chang, I feel badly for you and the others traveling with you that your river cruise turned into a hotel and bus tour. Even though you still see the advertised sits, you miss out on the relaxing experience of visiting in the lounge and the familiarity of the dining room and your cabin Plus the wonderful crew service. On the other hand, I think you see more of the countries on a land tour. I hope you have better luck on your holiday river cruise in December.  

August 09, 2017

Chang- Glad for the cool weather!  Jacket is packed!  We are doing a Christmas Market cruise with GC embarking the ship  Nov. 26 in Vienna ending in Nuremburg.  Is that the same cruise you are doing?

August 10, 2017

Janice - thank you.  I think our PDs have tougher time than us bc they have to scramble for itinerary change, do PR for GCT for damage control and to entertain travelers on the bus in addition to taking heat from upset clients.

CRWATTE - my Christmas Market trip will be on the Danube  in December bc it fits my schedule better.  I wish you a wonderful time on your coming cruises.

Author: rblume8351

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2007

August 10, 2017

Chang,

Who are your PDs? We will be on this trip in a few months and did the Budapest to Prague stretch this past spring.

Hope they treat you as well as we were treated on a different "Plan B" trip. Good luck!

August 11, 2017

rblume8351 - there were 4 groups on the ship.  My PD was Radi (shortened first name), the other three are male (Stephan, Rabi, don't know the 3rd PD's name).  Radi was the most personable one, always smiling and helpful.  She called me a week prior to the departure date to say hello and answered all my questions promptly via email before I left for the trip.

Stephan is their program director and he led the pre and post trips.  I am not sure if I spell his names correctly.

As I mentioned previously, GC tried to smooth out the rest of the trip but there were a few terrible instances that's upsetting - bus, food/restaurants, etc.

What happened to your trip and how was plan B carried out?

Author: rblume8351

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2007

August 12, 2017

Our non-cruise cruise was on the Elbe. The river was low for long enough that we were notified a week plus before departure. Options offered: cancel with full refund, several  alternate trips were offered, or take the trip  but know it was by bus and partial refund as well as added utter cruise credit. About half those originally booked opted for the non-cruise cruise.

August 13, 2017

Thank you for the info.  What's utter cruise credit?

By the end of our trip, there was no word from GC or our PDs on any refund offered for our half-way non-cruise cruise.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.