Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to participate in the forum. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: travelingcarol

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

April 25, 2017

I do not remember any of our past river cruises and land trips having groups that large.

Author: rkauzlarich

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

April 25, 2017

Where did you hear or read that it is now 46?  It used to be up to 42.

Author: travelingcarol

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

April 25, 2017

My friend just returned from thr France river cruise today and said she was surprised to have  only one PD for the whole boat.  I was most surprised at this.  Just checked out a recent River Cruise catalog and it said maximum 46 per PD.  That is a huge group!  That seems like a big  increase.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2002

April 25, 2017

My two European River Cruises were in 2006 and 2010. At that time, the ship capacities were in the range of 125. For three PDs, that made each "flock" about 42. Now I see that the smallest ships have a capacity of 140. For three PDs, that makes 46 tourists per PD. Adding a fourth PD would make the number per PD only 35. I also noticed that some ships are listed as having a passenger capacity of 162. I didn't find what cruises used the larger ships, but, I would assume, those ships employ four PDs.

Author: rogerdawhip

GCT Trips Taken: 17
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

OAT trips taken: Egypt, China, Ireland, Guatemala, Thailand, Peru and Adriatic Cruise. Ten GCT river cruises: Great Rivers(4 times), Rhine& Mosel (2 times), Eastern Europe to the Black Sea, Rhone River, Holland & Belgium, Seine. Three GCT small ship cruises, winter Adriatic, Italian Riviera, and British Isles Other: Russian river cruise twice.

Traveler Since: 2001

April 26, 2017

Two 162 passanger ships (Adagio and Aria) do have four PDs.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.