Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pamsaunt

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2007

January 10, 2011

Hi,

When leaving Costa Rica a couple of years back we had to pay a departure tax, but were told credit cards were accepted. To my surprise, the tax was put through as a cash advance and accrued interest until the day I paid off the monthly bill. I guess a tax isn't exactly a product, but I thought a fee was close enough.

Leaving for Chile on Jan. 17th so I have to ask: Does anyone know if this is how Chile will put through the $140 fee? I HATE to pay interest on credit cards, and I don't like traveling with a lot of cash. No one in GCT knew, though I may call again. Does anyone who has done this trip recently AND PAID BY CREDIT CARD recall how this was charged?

Author: travelann

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2010

January 11, 2011

According to a Chile tourism site the fee must be paid in us dollars (cash ) or pesos when entering the country ( going thru immigration ) This site said the fee was $100.00 but I think if you call the Chilean embassy or Consulate they can give you the correct updated info. I am going in March ,and that is what  I had planned to do. Have a great trip

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 12, 2011

I'd pay in cash ($140) if you're concerned about being charged a cash advance on your credit card. It's not a lot of cash and you can stow it in a safe place until you land in Santiago.

Have a wonderful trip.

From the Chilean Embassy web site:

"U.S. citizens traveling to Chile for recreation, on business or to attend conferences or the like do not need a visa to enter Chile and can stay for up to 90 days. There is an reciprocity fee of US $140 that must be payed upon arrival or entrance to Chile. Payment can be made in U.S. currency or by credit card."

Author: billfuji

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2004

February 16, 2011

We paid by Amex and was simply a charge not a cash advance. Problem we had was that it took at least an hour waiting as they had one agent processing the payment and another doing paper work.

Be careful when entering the cusoms area as the payment desk is to the left and customs straight ahead. We were walking to the customs area when I noticed a lot of people were making the left and than saw a sign that directed people without the stamp to first pay the fee. The "reciprocity fee" is good for one year.

Author: tborder

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

February 22, 2011

We are on this trip now and paid by cash, $140 each. If you pay with cash, be sure and use new bills as they will not accept torn or rumpled bills. also when paying for anything such as souvenoirs and crafts, the same thing. Most will take American money, but only good bills. Also we took along a netbook computer, and I wouldn't travel without it. Almost all the hotels on the trip so far have Wireless in the rooms.  The only one that doesn't is Santiago, but has free computers in the lobby area, but a charge of $10 a day for room wireless. Tom

Author: sandys

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

Most countries in Western Europe - Many countries in Eastern Europe. New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Easter Island. Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belize, Honduras, Mexico (including Copper Canyon), South Africa. Almost all states in the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska. Canada, Bahamas, Many of the Caribbean Islands. China, Thailand.

Traveler Since: 2005

February 22, 2011

My understanding is that the Chile Reciprocity Fee is good for the life of your passport.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 23, 2011

My Chile stamp reads "Ido hasta la expiracion del pasaporte." I assume this translates as good until the expiration of the passport, which is 2015 for me.

Perhaps this has changed?

Author: cal429

Trips Taken: 13
Countries Visited:

Domestically, almost everywhere. A native Northern Californian, I'd set foot however briefly in all 50 states by the time I was 35, lived on all three U.S. coasts and the shore of the South China Sea (the latter courtesy of Uncle Sam in 1969). Been to all corners of our country and beyond into Canada (i.e., Tijuana, Key West, Halifax/PEI, Vancouver BC), plus lived for a summer near the geographic center of the country. New England nearly every summer or fall since 1972 to visit family and watch the leaves turn. Got a late start internationally. Been to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos, Ireland, South America (five times, five countries), Panama, Costa Rica, Cuba, Spain, Greece/Turkey and Aegean, Great Rivers (Netherlands, Germany, Austria), China & Tibet, and Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2004

February 25, 2011

Mine has the same notation:  "Valido [sic] hasta la expiracion del pasaporte."  (The "V" is cut off at the edge, but I'm sure that's what they meant, "valid").  Translates as, "Valid until the expiration of the passport."

According to the Chilean Embassy website, the fee is $140 (says $131 on the main page, but it's updated elsewhere on the site), and I just now checked both the English and Spanish language versions to confirm that it is indeed still good for the life of your passport.  I got mine in February 2008 and returned in September 2008 and that's the way it worked back then as well.

That's excellent advice about how to proceed through the entry process in the Santiago airport.  You must go to the booth on the left, not the long lines on the right, to pay this "reciprocity fee" as you first enter the passport-checking area.  I and most of my fellow OAT travelers (whom I had not yet met) didn't know that when we entered (OAT's representatives are not allowed into this area and must greet you farther along when you've cleared customs, reclaimed your luggage, and exited) and we just naturally followed the crowd to passport control, waited quite a while to get to the head of the lines, only to be redirected back to pay the fee, then start the queuing process all over again.

If and when you return to Chile the next time on the same passport, you can skip that step and go right into the queue.  When you have your little reciprocity fee receipt, staple it in the back of your passport in case you ever re-enter so you won't have to repay.  Worked for me when I returned eight months later -- straight to the passport control line, they found the old receipt stapled into the back page, and put me right on through.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.