Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gerpek

November 22, 2010

My friend and I booked a trip to china for 10/12/10, the trip was great for me but my friend had to cancel because of illness.  He purchased the trip insurance through GCT and it has been two months and he still hasn't received a refund.  He is covered for any kind of cancelation including the pre condition waiver.  He sent in the required paperwork from his Doctor but now it seems they want his medical records for the last 11 months.  My advice is DONT PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM GRAND CIRCLE AND DON'T TRAVEL WITH GRAND CIRCLE AS THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND YOU OR DO ANYTHING TO SPEED THE REFUND PROCESS.  GCT claims they have no influence with the insurance company

SO BUYER BEWARE:

PAT COLBERT

SUN CITY, ARIZONA

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 23, 2010

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's experience.  I can only say that mine and my friend's was quite different.  We were booked on the Russia Revealed river cruise in September of 2007 and had to cancel at the last minute because she had developed cancer.  I was offered the option of either canceling along with her or taking the trip alone (I think without the single supplement).  We received the forms, filled them in, and sent them to Trip Mate along with the medical reports.  I don't remember how long it took for the reimbursements to arrive, but I know we weren't aware of any time lag.  We had also paid a deposit on a trip the following spring to Dubrovnik and were reimbursed for that.  All reimbursements for what we had paid minus, of course, the premiums to the insurance company and a handling fee.

I always buy the trip insurance when I pay the deposit. 

For several years, I traveled to Australia and New Zealand independently and had to buy my own travel insurance since Medicare is no good outside the US.  Fortunately, I never had to use it, but the fact that it was there if I needed it reassured me. 

I should add that you don't buy the insurance from GCT, you buy it through them.

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

November 24, 2010

"My friend and I booked a trip to china for 10/12/10, the trip was great for me but my friend had to cancel because of illness.  He purchased the trip insurance through GCT and it has been two months and he still hasn't received a refund."

I'm a bit confused about your post. Oct 12  is not two months ago. Did your friend cancel in September? Did he pay for the trip insurance when he registered? If he paid more than 14 days after registering he would not get the pre-existing waiver. It seems odd that if he was covered the insurance company would request his medical records.

A couple of years ago I was injured on a trip and missed a pre-paid optional tour that included a flight. I sent in the form when I got home and was reimbursed, but it did take several weeks, so hopefully, your friend's claim will be paid soon.

Trip Mate is the insurance company, not Grand Circle. Trip Mate is a large company and may have a backlog of claims.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.