Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: joenkarl

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2005

November 19, 2010

My family has decided not to travel anywhere that requires us to be patted down or have full body scans until the rules change.  Profiling makes a lot of sense to me.  As far as I know the TSA has never discovered or stopped a terroris tbefore boarding a flight.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

November 19, 2010

I just flew back home out of the Albuequerque, NM airport a few days ago. It was a choice between body scan and pat down. Worries aside about radiation, I took the full body scan....less invasion of privacy than the pat down. I figured that if someone in another room wanted to look at my body (more or less), ok. I think that anything that makes us somewhat safer if okay. I don't know if profiling really works. Look at Ted Bundy.....handsome, charming, etc. Who would necessarily have pegged him as a serial killer? ....I'm "just saying"......

Author: gobuckeyes

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2005

November 19, 2010

Re:  I don't know if profiling really works. Look at Ted Bundy.....handsome, charming, etc. Who would necessarily have pegged him as a serial killer? ....I'm "just saying"......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not in law enforcement; however, just based on the fact that the FBI has been doing profiling for years I believe that it must work.  Keep in mind that there would be an entirely different profile for a serial killer (which Ted Bundy may very well fit) than an Al-Qaeda terrorist. Also the Israeli airline El Al uses profiling. They are one of the safest airlines in the world, they must be doing something right.  Here is a recent article concerning the former El Al security director's comments on US airline security that you may find very interesting:  

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/full-body-scanners-are-illusion-security

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

November 20, 2010

Well, I admit that my example of Ted Bundy was not the right comparison;however,  a few thoughts:

(1) I wonder what questions that the Israeli security ask each passenger? Wouldn't this take an inordinate amount of time?

(2) I flew into and out of Israel last January, but it was on Delta, not El Al.....we went through an extra "walk through" kind of security at the gate at JFK right before going on board the plane, but at Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv, we didn't have any kind of particularly extra security measures. Is this only on El Al?

(3) Even though I don't particularly like the scanners (who would?), and definitely don't want a patdown (even though I have had one in Paris and in Geneva, for some reason??), it will not keep me from flying and going on the trips that I want to go on....I feel as though I would miss out on so much if I let that stop me.

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 20, 2010

I agree with nancyf and gobuckeyes that I won't let TSA prevent me from traveling.  I have been pulled out of line for patdown twice, both times before this new procedure.  The last time was in Boston in August after I had been through the detector, and I don't know why.  The previous time was several years ago at LAX after spending the night at a hotel on the way back from Australia.  My friend had already gone through, and she told me that the security people were counting and pulling out about every 20 people.

When my sister and I went to Israel in 1993, it was a very quiet time and our guide took us to places he wouldn't take friends a few months later.  We flew SwissAir from Boston through Zurich, and the only thing different was that we were bussed from the terminal in Zurich to our plane way out and had to identify our luggage and any appliances like hair dryers.  But we had changed one of our flights within Israel, and that led to a lot of questioning at the airport in Eilat.  Questions about why we had visited Israel, what was our relationship to each other, why we had changed the flight.  Not unfriendly, but very businesslike.

I am going to San Antonio next month and will opt for the detector rather than the patdown, now that it's so intrusive.  If anyone wants to get their jollys looking at x-ray's of a 78 year old woman, that's their problem.

I also agree that profiling would be much more effective. 

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

November 20, 2010

I don't like it either and hope they find a better way than the full pat-down. I seem to be the grandmother who is chosen "at random" to prove they aren't profiling. I've had so many pat-downs in so many airports I got to expect it. My last trip I got it in every airport: Istanbul, CDG and Atlanta. I've never carried any forbidden items and always passed the pat-down exam.

Anyway, I don't want to stop traveling so if I have a choice between the scanner and the pat-down, I'll take the scanner. Unfortunately, my regional airport doesn't have it so I'll have to hope I'm not selected for the latest version of the pat-down.

None of us know if TSA has stopped any terrorists, but they have found plenty of weapons; I just wonder what they expect to find with the this truly offensive pat-down.Do they really think that anyone other than the Christmas bomber is crazy enough to put explosives in their underpants?

Ted Bundy was a vicious serial killer and I never understood how anyone would consider him "handsome." He wasn't ugly but he had wild looking eyes. Maybe they're confusing Mark Harmon who portrayed Bundy in a movie, with the real killer.

Author: robsmom

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2011

November 20, 2010

We have used ELAL many times. Their screening process was covert. Although the gorgeous men on the planes were obviously sky marshalls, there was never a problem. People say profiling is politically incorrect. The U.S. is looking for terrorists, not my mother from Boca Raton. If  scanning everyone avoids the outward appearance of profiling, then  they can scan me, and see what age and gravity has done.

Author: southeastern

Trips Taken: 6

November 21, 2010

I guess my husband and I are very lay back. We are simply  not hung up on people looking at or touching our body for the sake of safety. It probably won't deter a determined terrorist but it might keep a few of want to be nuts from doing something stupid. It takes a minute to do either search and it certainly isn't going to upset or ruin my trip. I like living and I like to travel- we just factor it into the big picture. If folks stop traveling because of it maybe we'll be able to use our frequent flyer awards more readily, more foot room or seat selection. I say if you don't like it please stay home. As my mother used to say when we didn't like a particular food, "more for us."

Author: capybara

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2003

March 08, 2011

My dear old husband had a knee replacement and because of this he gets groped each time in a very embarrassing way.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.