Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: vsibbitt

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2006

December 11, 2010

I just read in the postings that Yasser was fired.  That's outrageous.  We, too, will reconsider future trips with GCT/OAT.  This seems grossly unfair and unwarranted.

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

December 12, 2010

@leftybill:  How did you find out about his being fired?

Author: leftybill

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2005

December 13, 2010

Nancy, ask the forum moderator.  It is time to hear from their side.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

December 13, 2010

I've been following this discussion, and I see that at least two people state that they don't fill out the evaluation forms.  I doubt if GCT would have fired a Program Director based on one complaint on the discussion board.  There must have been some negative comments from evaluation forms.

Twice, because I was concerned that a particular traveler would file a negative evaluation, I made a point of mentioning each one specifically and the occasion that might have triggered it.  Just to cast doubt on her opinion.

Author: maggie0102

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2010

December 13, 2010

I am very disturbed that Yasser was fired.  He was an excellent guide.  His knowledge was formindable.  The comment by oceanwave should be removed from the webiste.  As for bringing vendors on the bus, that happened only once gor pictures at a site where cameras were not allowed.  We told him in advance that we were interested and asked him to get them for us.  Regarding keeping us outside and using up our time, he was explaining what we were about to see and keeping us in the shade until the crowd in front of us cleared.  I was grateful both for the explanations and staying in the shade.  He was concerned about the people in the group and in several instances walked with people to pharmacies or other shops when people were afraid to go alone in an unfamiliar culture.  I found him to be both knowledgeable and concerned for the welfare of the group.  He aranged for a doctor to see my traveling companion when she twisted her knee.  She did not follow the advise of the doctor and complained the rest of the trip, but that was her fault not Yasser's.  She also was very upset that her luggage did not arrive in Cairo.  The plane was held over in New York to allow her flight from St. Louis to make the plane and her luggage did arrive a day or so later.  This had nothing to do with Yasser.  He was continually checking on it for her.  She made my trip unpleasant at times but I made new friends and moved on and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.   It is a shame to see a bad apple spoil things for future travelers to Egypt.

Author: hawkeye62

GCT Trips Taken: 7

December 13, 2010

As I said previously Yasser was the best guide I've had in Edypt, and having been that country 4 times I beleive I can speak with more authority than most. Certainly more than the original poster on this thread.

I would think that GTC would take that into account as well as the much larger number of positive reviews I'v seen here before making such a serious decision. Good employment in Egypt is difficult to come by and this action will likely be a serious economic hardship on a very nice man and his family.

The claim that Yasser "MADE" her stand outside is absurd.  No one was forced to do anything by Yasser and certainly standing outside and listening to a preparitory lecture is completely optional. I speak again with authority as having been to those sites before I simply asked Yasser for the departure time and we proceeded on our own then met the bus later.

The statement about how he "MADE" her stand outside would actually be comical, were it not for the serious consequences.

I would really hope that GCT would take the time to weigh the validity of this single bad review against the more numerous positive responses of others. At the very least they should respond to the concerns of their "other customers".

The silence of the moderators is deafening.

Author: nancyf

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

December 13, 2010

To the Moderator of this website:

I wish that you would read the posts on the Egyptian tour guide named Yassir Elgabry, that were being posted on the "Awful Egyptian Guide" postings for Middle East-Egypt. One person posted that he was an awful guide, and then many, many chimed in that he was great, actually super, and then another said that he had been fired.

Any more information about that? It sounds as if he were really great, and perhaps that one posting was just a person who didn't have a good time, period, on the trip, and chose to blame it on the guide.

I, myself, being an Inner Circle Member, and having 2 more trips already booked with GCT, one of which is the Egypt trip in February, would like some input from you about all of this.

Thanks.........

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

December 17, 2010

Thank you for all your comments. Our Traveler Discussion Boards are here for travelers to communicate with each other. In the general, the Moderator does not comment on postings, but rather monitors the operation of the forum.

Grand Circle Travel's Program Directors are evaluated based on multiple traveler comments and the excellence ratings regarding traveler onsite experience as returned to us in Post Trip Surveys. An isolated comment or criticism on a survey or in our forum does not result in a Program Director's termination.

For privacy reasons, we are unable to discuss publicly an associate's or contractor's employment status with our company. We do appreciate your enthusiasm for our tours and your consideration for our Program Directors.

-Michelle, OAT Forum Moderator.

Author: hawkeye62

GCT Trips Taken: 7

December 21, 2010

This all leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. I stand by my assessment of Yasser being the best guide I have had thus far on my 4 Egypt trips.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.