Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 31, 2011

nancyf...Russia Revealed

We are on the 9/22 trip & doing the pre-stay in Kiev.  I'm hoping we REALLY enjoy this trip as it is pretty pricey!  For years, I have collected "pysanky" eggs (handpainted/decorated REAL eggs & some wooden).  I have several dozen from various countries we have visited.  I was thrilled to find an ostrich  egg decorated by the aborigine in Australia last year.  They should be plentiful in Russia & the Ukraine.  I'm ready to go back to Hungary, Poland, etc. in search of more eggs.  My husband is afraid I'll be bringing home a "Fabrege" egg from Russia.  Hey, you never know!

Have a great trip.

hootie

Author: hardar

Traveler Since: 2004

June 24, 2011

We just returned from the Danube,  Black Sea to Budapest, trip on the River Aria and found a usable internet link on the boat on only a couple of occasions - never when the boat was moving.  Even the crew and staff were frustrated with the lack of availability.  In Budapest crew and passengers were gathered on shore searching out local hot spots to use.  The on board wi-fi capability was inoperable for most of the trip.

Author: gctlounan

Traveler Since: 2007

June 27, 2011
06/27/2011
Just returned from the Danube, Main & Rine on the River Aria, Vienna to Amsterdam.   Did not have WiFi the first 2 days but then had it 75% of the time, anywhere on the boat.

Author: jhgoss100

Traveler Since: 2008

August 23, 2011

We just returned from Romance of the Rhine and Mosel on River Rhapsody, departing Antwerp on 7/22/11.  We were told we would have WiFi on board for the cruise.  However, we did not have any shipboard WiFi while in Antwerp, nor sailing the Rhine in Dutch waters.  I was able to connect from the sun deck to free WiFi in the city of Antwerp.  Our hotel manager explained that this was due to the WiFi service GCT was using was not available in Brussels/The Netherlands.

Once we entered German waters, we had WiFi in most of the ports (typically not while underway) on the Rhine, and we could connect from our room, #323, Sonata Deck (aft of the common spaces).  However, once we turned into the Mosel, we no longer had any WiFi service.  This was explained as being due to the steepness of the river valley I think it was poor cellular coverage).  Returning to the Rhine, WiFi service returned while in port and while cruising past larger cities.  The next exception was Speyer, where we were docked outside the cell coverage, and so had no service.

Generally, when available, the service was acceptable.  One frustrating problem was a passenger who uploaded his photos each time we had service, limiting access for the rest of us when he did this.  All-in-all, an improvement which needs futher fine tuning.

Author: shatzi

Traveler Since: 2009

August 23, 2011

Thank you, at least we know what to expect.  I hope we have no downloaders!  :)  How was your trip?

Author: jhgoss100

Traveler Since: 2008

August 23, 2011

Hi;

We enjoyed the Romance of the Rhine & Mosel, and the crew of the Rhapsody was outstanding.  The best part of the cruise was the Mosel valley, and all our stops while in it.  We were less impressed with Strasburg, FR and Basel, SW.  Big cities and not nearly as much fun to explore as the smaller towns and villages along the Rhine and Mosel.

On the negative side, we thought the entertainment and lectures/demonstrations were much poorer than those on our previous Great Rivers of Europe Cruise in 2008.   We have identified our top three cruises for next year and are now trying to decide which to choose.  We enjoyed the GCT methodology, but wish there was an option for folks interested in Modern Europe, say with factory tours, etc.  Historical is okay, but not everything.

Author: pamolmstead

Traveler Since: 2005

September 15, 2012

Any Updates on the Wi-Fi situation in Europe?  Leaving on a Christmas Markets trip the end of November and will need to stay in touch, even on vacation, unfortunately

Author: rpenning

Traveler Since: 2012

September 21, 2012

We were recently on the Great Rivers of Europe trip on the Concerto and had spotty Wifi service.  We accepted the fact that it would not be available in remote areas, but we had problems even when docked in downtown Frankfurt.  It is better than nothing, but don't count on having it 24/7.  The good news is that we had access in our room.

Author: kba

Traveler Since: 2009

September 22, 2012

Just returned from the Paris to Normandy trip on the M/S Bizet.  Wifi was spotty and not 100% reliable. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.