Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

July 10, 2010

I thought I read  (somewhere)  that there is now  free Wi-Fi on GCT riverboats.   I don't know if I am delusional or hopeful!!  We will be traveling on the River Harmony in a few months and because I just got a new Apple iPad, I was wondering whether or not to take it.  Sure, I could pick up the phone & call GCT, but that would be too easy.  If any  travelers know the answer or have 1st hand experience using it onboard (the good, bad or ugly!),  please contact me.  Thank you.

Author: captainlarry

Traveler Since: 2002

July 10, 2010

I was on River Harmony in May just past. The answers to your questions are: yes, WiFi is available; and no, it is not free. I had a laptop with me and was unable to find free WiFi anywhere in Europe, let alone on the ship. However, the ship has a netbook computer you can "rent" at a not too exorbitant price. I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was 2 Euro for 30 minutes. The Program Directors had a laptop that accessed the ship's WiFi, but they would not even discuss giving me an access code, at any price. It would certainly be a nice amenity if free WiFi were available.

Author: hyfly

Traveler Since: 2005

July 11, 2010

I would also be interested when WiFi on the riverboats be available for use on personel laptops. We traveled last December for the Christmas Markets in Paris and the first time we got to use GCT laptops. This was a great feature at times there was a wait for these. That is the only down fall. If there has to be a cost for WiFI that would be ok. I would like to use a feature called Skype also. We will be traveling in November on the River Aria. 

Author: bobbann123

Traveler Since: 2009

July 16, 2010

I was on the River Rhapsody last Aug. and used the ship's netbook. It was quite easy as you had a specific time reserved, however in some areas the reception was not very good, but this was not a big problem. It was very inexpensive at 2 or 2.5 euros a half hr..

Be careful where you are using Skype in Europe, as there has been many reports of your skype ID being stolen and your acct. being charged for calls.. I don't believe this has happened on board, but in some internet cafes on an unsecured network.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

July 16, 2010
In response to the questions about wi-fi, our nautical & technical team has been looking into the feasibilty of implementing it on our fleet for travelers to use. As you can imagine, it is challenging to ensure consistent service in all the different countries where our ships go, often in places where connections can be erratic. We are looking into new technologies that will make this happen, but we don’t anticipate anything to start until 2011 at the earliest. We would let travelers know ahead of time so they can come prepared with mobile devices like laptops and ipads.

Regards,
Cynthia
Forum Moderator

Author: wendy1224

Traveler Since: 2006

July 28, 2010

It would be a terrific benefit to be able to gain access to a Wi-Fi network onboard GCT river ships. The internet service on other ships is not related to any one specific country and has nothing to do with what any one country has available. It is a service obtained via satellite and independent of borders. Private ships and yachts have been using this technology for years, so I'm hoping GCT gets with the program and incorporates the service into their ships. Most of us would not mind paying extra for it, if it's reasonably priced.

René Borroto

Hallandale Beach, Florida

Author: stagerobin

August 29, 2010

Texting is the way to go.  We found out that with our Verizon service  it only costs fifty cents per message and we can turn the international service off when we're not traveling.  When we travel we want to relax and avoid the day-to-day obligations at home.  So we've given our adult children permission to text if there's something they think we really, really should know and they have the GCT phone numbers in case of extreme emergency.   Occasionally I find an internet cafe or hotel computer to use  if I'm curious about what's going on at home.  But  knowing  that the family can reach us if need be is reassuring, and emails can wait we're ready to deal with them.  

Author: seapineslady

Countries Visited:

I've lived in Africa and Asia and have done extensive traveling in both and in Europe. I've gone to Vietnam and Cambodia with OAT and have gone to Russia and Eastern Europe with Grand Circle and leave for China in June.

August 31, 2010

Just purchased an iPad with 3G and ATT tells me that if there is a cell phone tower within range one should be able to send and receive email, etc.  There is a one time charge for international service for $25.99 for one month for 20MB (no roaming charges).  I'm looking forward to seeing if it works on the Rhine River cruise in Sept. on the Melody.  Will let you all know when I return.

Author: ulvazell

Countries Visited:

US (continental), Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Croatia, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany

Traveler Since: 2011

September 01, 2010

FYI - Unlike in the States, we found this summer that the Starbucks locations in Great Britain do not have open free wifi.  That said however, if you buy a gift card and use the gift card to then buy your coffee, the access code for the wifi comes with the card.  Just something to keep in mind to inquire about at their other locations in Europe...

Author: tycats2

Traveler Since: 2006

September 17, 2010

We just returned yesterday from River Rhapsody trip Basel to Amsterdam. Several of us had laptops/net-books and had difficulty  finding places to connect on some days. Our PD's were helpful in pointing out hot-spots to us  - usually McDonald's and Starbucks. Sometimes at Internet cafes where we had to use their computers with the European keyboards which are very difficult for Americans.

They had little net-books on the ship which we could rent for 5 euros flat rate for up to one hour. They had no signal in Switzerland or France and could not be used until we got to Germany. I was never successful with 'borrowing' anyone's Wifi signal while docked, although one passenger said that he picked up Viking's who were docked behind us sometimes (don't tell Viking lol). I hope that GCT eventually does provide free WiFi so that we don't have to spend our  vacation time searching out hot-spots and sitting in McDonald's.

We had a great cruise and our PD Alex Berger was wonderful. Great personality, knowledgeable and very funny.

Ed and Diane Nusbaum

Author: wyocboy

February 07, 2011

Other cruise lines including AVALON and VIKING have had WiFi for quite sometime.  We cruised the Rhine, Maine and Danube from Amsterdam to Budapest in 2009 and had great reception on the ships WiFi for the whole cruise.  The same is true in France where we did the Rhone, Saone and Seine with AVALON in 2010.  I don't understand the technical difficulties that GCT is having to accomplish this.

Author: sandys

Countries Visited:

Most countries in Western Europe - Many countries in Eastern Europe. New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Easter Island. Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belize, Honduras, Mexico (including Copper Canyon), South Africa. Almost all states in the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska. Canada, Bahamas, Many of the Caribbean Islands. China, Thailand.

February 07, 2011

In today's world, many of us are very dependent on the internet for communication with our families at home.  We can also keep track of our investments while traveling, so that we can afford our next GCT oir OAT tour. 

WiFi is so much more convenient (and cheaper)  than bringing GSM phones with us.  Most other cruise companies offer this convenience to their passengers.

GCT, please start offering this convenience to your passengers.

Author: fschulz

March 23, 2011

It's been a while since there's been a post on this thread.  I'm traveling on the Normandy (Honfluer) to Paris trip on April 25, 2011, and would like to take my iPad.  Any update on the status of wi-fi on the Seine trip?

Author: jpdavidson

Traveler Since: 2007

March 23, 2011

We are going on the Spriingtime in Holland trip on the River Rhapsody in early April.  Does anyone know if this ship has wifi on it?  I have emailed GCT several times and have not recieved any response.  Very poor customer service.

Author: grandcircle

March 24, 2011
Hello jpdavidson & fschulz -

Thank you for your patience.

Our Nautical Team in Europe has just confirmed with us that Wi-Fi is now available on our fleet of European River Ships (excluding those operating in Russia). Complimentary Wi-Fi service is offered in the Lounge, Library, Bar, and Reception areas of the ship on which you will be sailing. Now, you will be able to stay connected while traveling. 

Adding this amenity to our services is a direct result of feedback from our travelers. We are always looking for ways to make our trips more enjoyable. Please continue to let us know how we can improve your travel experience. 

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT Forum Moderator

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

March 24, 2011

GCT & WiFi announcement....

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

NOW, We're going on Russia Revealed this fall, LET'S SEE ABOUT GETTING IT THERE TOO.

hootie

Author: martycooper

March 26, 2011

.................and how about the Nile????

Author: sandys

Countries Visited:

Most countries in Western Europe - Many countries in Eastern Europe. New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Easter Island. Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belize, Honduras, Mexico (including Copper Canyon), South Africa. Almost all states in the USA, including Hawaii and Alaska. Canada, Bahamas, Many of the Caribbean Islands. China, Thailand.

March 26, 2011

Sounds great.  Thank you Grand Circle.

Author: nancyf

Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

March 27, 2011

@hootie-- When are you going on the Russia Revealed trip? I am going with 3 friends on the Oct. 1 departure, which does the pre-trip to Helsinki and Tallinn first!........

Author: dave_d

Traveler Since: 2004

March 31, 2011

Thank you, GCT.  Sure makes it a lot easier than trying to find an internet cafe in port.

Dave

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.