Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

March 05, 2010

Have you visited a Grand Circle Foundation Site?

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

May 03, 2010

Yes.  We visited a school in China.  The third graders lined the walkway and sang to us when we arrived & left.  What a difference from the typical schools in the United States.  The desks & chairs were all mis-matched and really, really old.  Some of the children had to share books.  It was HOT and dusty.  We sat in the students seats and they stood at the front of the room and answered our questions.  I believe English is mandatory but only a few were able to communicate with us.  Most of their parents lived in other towns where they could find jobs and the kids lived with their grandparents which were poor farmers.  The kids said they felt  lucky to attend school.  They seemed genuinely glad to see us and were eager to hear about life in the U.S. and in particular - Mickey Mouse!  We had taken school supplies as gifts for the class which the kids were excited about...hard to believe.  The teacher said the students are all eager to learn, which was evident,  and have very little so ANY gift is appreciated.  Another traveler brought CANDY and that went over very well!!!  We were told that the children were lucky if they had one meal a day so to have a candy treat was really special.  It was an eye opening experience.  It was heart warming to see such happy faces on children with so little.  And it was heartbreaking.  THANK YOU GCT for the experience and for all ways you help others.

Author: finewayne

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

July 22, 2010

We went to a school while in China.  It was very interesting and the children were excited to see us.  I brought a few small items but wish I had brought enough for the whole class.  One of our group brought a bag of stickers and the kids loved them.  Our visit wasn't as organized as another one listed here but we were able to intereact with several children.  I sat at their desk while they read to me in English. 

Room was not nearly as well equipped as our schools but very adequate.  I say bring supplies for about 30 students if/when you visit a school. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.