Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: friscoguy

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

32 countires including Argentina, Chile, Egypt, Jordan, Morrocco, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, all over Europe, South Africa, Brazil.

Traveler Since: 2005

September 08, 2010

I will be traveling to New Zealand in December.  Any word on how last weekend's earthquake might impact GCT travel to the region.  We have four days scheduled in Christchurch and are concerned that the damage may have damaged some of the places on our itinerary. 

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0

September 08, 2010

The Central Business District of Christchurch is now open to the public. Rydges Christchurch, the hotel that we use, is fully functional and continues to operate all services and outlets.

We have been in touch with the staff in our regional office. They advised that we are not anticipating any itinerary changes for the upcoming departures, thus, you should not expect any disruptions to your tour in December.

Author: beverlyguest

OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

September 24, 2010

I am glad you asked this question. I will be on the same tour and was wondering if it was going to effect us.

Author: friscoguy

OAT Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

32 countires including Argentina, Chile, Egypt, Jordan, Morrocco, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, all over Europe, South Africa, Brazil.

Traveler Since: 2005

January 09, 2011

I just returned and would highly recommend that Grand Circle not send groups to Christchurch.  There was an aftershock at a 4.9 magnitude two days before our arrival bringing additional damage to the area and destabilizing fragile structures.  My fellow travelers and I were unnerved by the sight of so much destruction from both the September and December quakes.  The hotel manager briefed us on evacuation procedure after checking in.  Although the hotel was fine, it was like being in a war zone.  Many buildings had severe damage and several dozen had BEWARE signs and were cordoned of with with metal fencing until they could be determined as safe.  While we were there the huge stone cross was removed from the cathedral in the main square for safety reasons.  Many of us walked around taking pictures of toppled buildings.  Our tour leader said at the final debriefing that she was appalled upon arrival at the damage and that many of the restraurants and places that she had previously visited were no longer there.  Our home hosts for the overnight stays were also dealing with the post-traumatic stress of having survived two natural disastersThe gardens are still lovely and I know that the area desperately want the tourism, but GCT should seriously reassess this situation in terms of the EXPERIENCE that it wants to offer to travelers in a sesmically unsafe and severely traumatized area.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.