Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

March 05, 2010

Have you visited a school with Grand Circle?

Author: dervan

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2007

March 11, 2010

We visited a school in China in 2007. The school was a K-6 school near X'ian and the Terra Cotta Warriors site.

Author: whynot

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1995

March 13, 2010

I visited a school in Tanzania, the OAT Tented Safari trip.  How I wish I had taken along a soccer ball or two, even a couple of frisbees.  The boys were so proud of their soccer ball which was wadded up plastic bags bound with tape.  The post cards of Boston were a huge hit, they had so many questions about the buildings and boats at the harbor as well as a  photo of my area after a big snow storm . Any kind of school supply is appreciated.

Inflateable soccer balls are hard to find but well worth the effort.  We all agreed, the school visit was the most touching and memorable part of the triip.

Author: grammyflo

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2002

March 15, 2010

We visited schools in China and Figi.  We brought gifts for the sweet children, but these visits made me so homesick for my grandchildren, I wanted to go home. 

Author: bajamama123

Trips Taken: 12

March 18, 2010

School visits are a special highlight of our visits to Africa.  The children are so well behaved and so anxious to talk to you.  If you bring school supplies remember to give them to the teacher and she will take care of using them.  Sometimes the children ask you to sing them a song as a group.  Then they in turn will sing to you.

Don't miss this opportunity !

Author: capybara

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2003

March 08, 2011

We visited schools in Costa Rica and Croatia when the school was not in session but the teachers still went to the effort to have lots of children there who sang and danced for us and showed us their work. In Croatia they even had apple cake that they baked. In Costa Rica  a small child  took each of us by the hand and picked a flower for us.

In Africa we visited schools in Namibia and Zimbabwe and saw not a single child. In Namibia we stood in the heat in the schoolyard until a teacher finally turned up and said a few words. When we asked to see a classroom he showed us a small supply room. We all were disappointed. Zimbabwe was the same, we just stood around outside.

Author: nancyf

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

43 of the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska, England , France , Italy , Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe. South Africa), Israel, Canada, the Carribbean, Peru, going to Egypt & Jordan in February 2011 ( canceled due to the unrest there, but I will take this trip later!), China, Russia, Kenya, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Sicily.

Traveler Since: 2007

March 08, 2011

You must have been there during a school holiday. We went to two schools in Namibia and Zimbabwe on Ultimate Africa trip in August 2009, and children were there both times. They sang for us, and we played a game with them. It was great fun. We had taken supplies for them also. Stickers are a big hit, because it's something fun! I just returned from a trip to China, and I took 5 inflatable world  globes......like a beachball size. Those were a great hit also. School visits are always a highlight of my trip visits!!

Author: hawkeye62

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2006

March 29, 2011

We have been to  3  School Visits thus far. One in Spain, one in Italy and one in Egypt.

Since we are returning to Egypt in a few weeks, one of the highlights will be hopefully access to the school again.

We enjoyed the children immensely in all of these countries.

For the Egypt trip, just go to the Dollar General Stores before your trip and stock up on all types of things mentioned, like Stickers, Crayons and/or Pencils and things to write on.

Last time everyone else brought these things, but I had a huge bag of candy, which of course the kids adored. Lollipops mostly and easy to carry in my suitcase as it was near Halloween then.

School visits are one of the grandest things about Grand Circle,in my opinion.

In Italy it was held in a Catholic Church, and the children sang for the group. So sweet.

In Spain the children were perhaps 10 yrs old - 12, and learning English, so each of us was assigned to one child and the child read to us from their english book. :)

We saw how well the children are treated unlike in America, because they each have a wonderful healthy breakfast and lunch served to them courtesy of the Govt. Toothbrushes and toothpaste included in their lockers. Very informative.

In Egypt, we took lots of happy photos with the children. This school was from ages about 6 to 13.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.