Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: retiredrn365

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Thailand, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Costa Del Sol, Great Rivers of Europe

Traveler Since: 2001

August 24, 2010

Just booked for the end of March into early April 2011 (picked that time for a number of reasons)-I travel a good bit-my hubby not so much-this is his trip!

-any one traveled in that time slot have any suggestions on the weater and how the heck to pack for this adventrue.

-I don't see where the River Cruise ships are wireless (thats a bummer) how hard is it to find internet cafe's close to ports?

Any must see's do's and anything that is';t on the top of your list for that trip

Any other info greatly appreciated

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

August 24, 2010

-any one traveled in that time slot have any suggestions on the weater and how the heck to pack for this adventrue.

Just did the Rhine and Mosel cruise in May and it was cold and damp. They told us April was warm and sunny. Packing? Layers! Lots of layers! And make at least one layer waterproof. Our Great Rivers cruise was in July and we had a world-class heat wave, so can't give you much help there.

-I don't see where the River Cruise ships are wireless (thats a bummer) how hard is it to find internet cafe's close to ports?

The ship does not have a WiFi hot spot, but they do have a netbook you can rent (fairly reasonable price) that gets you hooked up to a slow Internet connection. Internet cafes are available in most ports, but they are expensive, kind of hard to find, and seldom available during your period of availability.

Any must see's do's and anything that is';t on the top of your list for that trip

Take all of the included tours, for they show you the "must see" sites in every town. See the organ demonstration at St. Stephen's in Passau. See the Residenz in Wurtzburg. Go for the home-hosted coffee klatch. See the Gutenburg Museum and demonstration in Cologne. Of the optional tours, I would say that Heidleburg is a yes, Rothenburg a maybe, Marksburg Castle a yes, Wittenberg Monastary a no.

Author: retiredrn365

Countries Visited:

Thailand, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Costa Del Sol, Great Rivers of Europe

Traveler Since: 2001

August 25, 2010

Thanks that is very helpful-am trying to get my sibs to go and they have';t plunked down a deposit based mostly on the time of year and weather.

Author: southeastern

Traveler Since: 2007

August 25, 2010

Haven't done this trip but I have to put my plug in for the off season travel. We traveled by car in Greece in December and loved it. One of our best trips ever. All of the bumper to bumper tourists are gone and you get a better feel for the countries. We did Croatia and that area in July and it was so hot and tourists were elbow to elbow. We have signed up for the OAT Adriatic: Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina cruise because it is so off season(Dec.30). We realize it will be cold and won't be able to swim(oh well) and that the cities will probably have few tourists-YEA! I think you get a better picture of the country and you will really enjoy the fact that you don't have to stand in line at places. Just pack the layers of clothes and enjoy! Perhaps you will be lucky to not have a full riverboat either! I think it's a great time to travel.Enjoy!

Author: valeliza

Trips Taken: 1
Traveler Since: 2007

August 25, 2010

We did this trip two years ago and it was spectacular! I cannot imagine anything nearly as good. The relaxation of a small boat coupled with the ability to get out and walk and explore was perfect. We have never been on a big cruise ship or any other guided vacation and have saved p enough to head out, again, this next summer, but where too? We're thinking China or Turkey, but maybe the small boat trip through France? Any suggestions?

Author: boleta

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2002

November 15, 2010

Hi southeastern,

My husband and I (with two cousins) drove around Slovenia and Croatia in October.  It drizzled the first day we were in Slovenia (Lake Bled), but the rest of the trip the weather was just lovely. If you don't want tourists or droves of locals from other parts of Croatia, off season is the way to go.  We loved Croatia, and the people were marvelously friendly.  So much so, that we stayed a few more days in some places than anticipated.  We think you will enjoy Croatia and its people when you visit.  Let us know when you return how you liked it.  Hope the weather is not too bad for you.

Author: capybara

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 2003

March 08, 2011

We did the "Great Rivers" and loved it. The optional tours were overpriced; we did them by ourselves on public transportation for a fraction of the price and had more time to enjoy the places.

Author: whitejn

Trips Taken: 0

July 03, 2012

capybara, were you able to go to Rothenberg on your own?  If yes, please tell me how...thank you .

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.