Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jiminatl

Traveler Since: 2007

August 19, 2010

As a retired writer and an active Grand Circle Travel customer, I realized during a pleasant trip to Provence that few novels are written about the real life side of retirement, the many decisions required and the difficulty of dealing with change.

I wrote Listening to Van Gogh to explore the human side of retirement, where the characters are retirees discussing their mutual concerns.

Here’s a brief look at Listening to van Gogh:

They came to France to travel through Burgundy and Provence to the Cote d’Azur on a private, luxurious river boat. It was to be a voyage of discovery for the retirees, a cruise through the heartland of the French countryside, with visits to the river villages and towns that inspired the great artists of the19th century. The travelers were to discover the delights of Provencal cooking, visit the vineyards of the wine industry, explore the hills of Lyon, tour an ancient Papal Palace, and walk the very streets of Arles, where Vincent van Gogh painted so many of his masterpieces.

Along the way, the travelers also reveal their shared emotions about the transition from an active working life to that of a retiree, and their common concerns and unique solutions, all delivered in an informal, entertaining, and ultimately uplifting manner.

James Stevens

Author: hootie

Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

August 23, 2010

I keep busy by reading the DOZENS of Grand Circle travel guides/brochures that come in my mail almost daily.  I enjoy having something I can hold in my hand and take with me anywhere to read.  I see places I've visited and the memories come flooding back, making me want to go again for the second...third...fourth time.  I see trips I have booked, adding to the anticipation.  Then there is my places to see list, where I dream.  It's all good!

Author: jiminatl

Traveler Since: 2007

October 31, 2010

Listening to Van Gogh is now available from Lulu.com, Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and Borders, and the website www.listeningtovangogh.webs.com, as well as being availble on Kindle.

Author: shatzi

Traveler Since: 2009

May 10, 2011

I have just finished reading Listening to Van Gogh and enjoyed it immensely.  I do recommend it to any one planning a river cruise or having taken a river cruise. You do not have to be planning retirement to appreciate its look into life and choices.  It is a good read!

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.