Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: dorothyhanson

Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

I reported that previously, but I will recap. China Ethiopia Rome Pompeii Cruise through the Panama Canal, and other Alaska Texas Branson, Mo. Palm Springs Phoenix Getting ready to go to New Orleans (first time)

Traveler Since: 2012

August 10, 2010

This will be my first trip with GCT, and I am going solo.  November is the date.  Anyone else out there going on this Oct. 31 trip?  I'd like to get acquainted - or hear from others who have taken this trip in November and can comment on the weather regarding clothing.

Dorothy Hanson

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

August 12, 2010

Hi Dorothy,

I took the OAT Egypt trip a couple of years ago in mid October. The weather was very warm with bright sun. It might be a bit cooler at the beginning of November but I think you will still need a hat and sunblock. Many women were walking around the sites carrying umbrellas for shade. The sun was brutal.

I wore long sleeved, loose linen or cotton shirts and long cotton pants, including capri length.A few of the women wore short sleeve T-shirts but I wanted to protect my arms from the sun.

It was cooler in the evening but I never needed more than a lightweight jacket. You won't need any dressy clothes, just cool and comfortable tops and bottoms. You might want to save a bright top or some costume jewelry for the farewell dinner, but no one in our group dressed up much for that. You could also just wear a plain top and use a shawl or scarf to dress it up. Pack as light as you can.

Bring comfortable walking shoes and expect them to get dirty; you'll be walking through sand and dirt.

Also bring a water bottle holder to carry your water at the sites. We bought large bottles from the driver and then I filled my more manageable water bottle. I had a holder with a long strap so it left my hands free.

I'm always cold on planes so probably took a warmer jacket along for that but don't recall wearing it anytime other than on the flights.

The handbook should be helpful with the weather and suggestions for clothing.

I dont' know if the handbook suggests bringing a collapsible trekking pole or if you would need one , but I did use mine a few times. The Valley of the Kings and Queens were a bit hilly and some of the sites have uneven stone steps.

I hope you have a wonderful time. My seat mates on the return flight had taken the gct tour and said it was great.

Happy travels

Author: dotti

Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2009

August 16, 2010

Dorothy,

We took the Oct 31 trip to Egypt last year and it was wonderful, I am still talking about it.  I took short sleeve shirts and long sleeve shirts for a cover, which I rarely needed.  The weather was beautiful, warm, it is not necessary to bring a heavy coat, a sweater or sweat shirt will do.  I wore long pants the whole time and was not uncomfortable.  I hope that you will be lucky enough to get Bassem as your tour director , he was excellent,  had a great sense of humor and was really concerned about the people in his group, plus his knowledge of all things Egyptian was above excellent.  If you do get him tell him Dottie and Tom from FL say HI.  Have a great time, I know you will, everyone is very friendly and the wonderful memories of the Egyptian people and their country will be with you forever. 

Take comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking, you do not need anything dressy, I did try to adhere to the customs and keep my arms and legs covered when in the mosques. 

You can email me at dcostiganv@aol.com and I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.  Good luck and enjoy.

Dottie Costigan

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.