Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jhawk_ks

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

August 08, 2010

Looking forward to the Outback pre-trip in October.  Not looking forward to the flies!  Does anyone have helpful information regarding this subject - is insect repellent sufficient or do you really need a netted hat to keep them out of your eyes, nose & mouth? 

Author: drv5912nj

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2001

August 09, 2010

We did this trip in 12/ 2009. To answer your question, YES, use the netting ! It may look strange. but it is not. Your comfort level far out weights your appearence, trust me. Insect rellent did not seem to work for those who used it. You can buy the netting at any little store in Alice Springs for a few dollars. You will enjoy your trip more if you have these.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

August 09, 2010

I agree.  Repellant doesn't seem to have any effect on the flies.  And it's impossible to enjoy seeing the Outback and getting the most out of your trip if you constantly have to keep the flies from getting into your eyes and mouth.

Author: jhawk_ks

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Traveler Since: 2010

August 11, 2010

Thanks for the information.

Author: elna

GCT Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Austalia, Finland, Estonia, England, Scotland, Wales, Pakistan, Singapore,

Traveler Since: 2009

August 11, 2010

We visited friends several years ago and bought a 'fly hat' to wear--- it's the only way. We loaned ours to friends who went to OZ later. It's a wonderful country-- just learn the Aussie wave. ;-)

Author: cmbaker69

GCT Trips Taken: 9
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

52 countries and 49 states and counting. Most recent international trips were Belize/Tikal for Mayan ruins and OAT's Safari Serengeti. The OAT trip remains the best trip I've ever taken as a tourist, and this was my 5th subsaharan trip/3rd safari type.

Traveler Since: 2000

September 27, 2010

Check to see if you're going in peak fly season. I've been twice, in May and October, and had no problems either trip. Perhaps the best solution is to buy one in Alice Springs if needed.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

September 28, 2010

I have to disagree.  What is usually "peak season" may not be accurate for when you go.  I was there in October of 1998, and the flies were unbelievable.  A friend had given me a fly hat  -  basically a wide- brimmed hat (for the sun) with netting hanging all around (for the flies).  I really needed it.  Other people had purchased just the netting which they wore under their own wide- brimmed hats.  It doesn't take up much, if any, room, so why not go prepared?

Author: gobuckeyes

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2005

September 28, 2010

I did the OAT Australia trip in June 2007 and never saw a fly. Actually June (their Winter) is a great time to go. The temperature was actually ideal for sightseeing, etc.  

Site with lots of Australian weather information: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.