Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: travelingcarol

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2011

April 29, 2014

We are presentlly enjoying a wonderful adventure  with our PD Selcuk on Crossroads of Turkey a land trip.  This is our 5th GCT trip but our first land trip. In the past we have tipped our PD at the suggested rate of $6 per person per day plus we tipped the local guides when were in a port.   On this trip our PD has also acted as our guide in all situations. It would make sense to us to tip more than the suggested rate in this case.   How have other land trip travelers handled this?

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

April 29, 2014

I have always tipped the PD at least $10 a day for several reasons.  One is that the recommended amounts haven't changed since my first GCT trip in 1999, although the cost of living has gone up.  Second is that the amount always seemed too low.  And third is that they do a lot of work behind the scenes that most people aren't aware of.  There are probably more, but that's a sampling.

Author: kristenc

GCT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Europe, Russia

Traveler Since: 2012

April 29, 2014

It appears that the administrator's editing buttons are active on the posts in this thread. Please remove the posts or fix the ability of any user to edit, move, change the other posters' words. Thanks. 

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

April 29, 2014

I have sent this to Annmarie in an Email.

Countries Visited:

Europe, Russia

April 29, 2014

Thanks, Nanaandpapa!

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

April 29, 2014

The administrator buttons are on all of the posts in this thread because the OP chose the Group Leaders section of the forum. This has happened before and will continue to happen unless a programming change is made. 

Countries Visited:

Europe, Russia

April 29, 2014

It is now fixed.

Author: janice!

April 29, 2014

It was moved to a different area of the forum which is what "fixed" it.  

In response to Kevin, I don't recall being on any GCT trips when no local guides were used. I've always considered how satisfied I am with a tour guide's performance when deciding how much to tip. 

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

April 30, 2014

I do remember a few where the PD also acted as the local guide.  It all depends on the local regulations.  In some places, a local guide is required by law.  In other places, the PD bows to the local guide's specialized knowledge.  Although in Crakow in 2001, the local guide (required by law) asked our PD to take part when it came to discussing what had been the Ghetto.  She said he knew more about it than she did.  Although he was not Jewish, he lost two uncles in concentration camps.  They had been caught passing out anti-Nazi leaflets when they were college students.  That led to a life-long interest in the Holocaust, and he was known for that.

Author: merleo

OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1996

April 30, 2014

I also did this trip last Oct/Nov and had a wonderful if not excellent PD also.  I chose to give more than the suggested tip as the PD himself gave more than 100% in my opinion.  The trip is much more enjoyable when you have a PD who is so enthusiastic and passionate about their country. Go with your gut feeling if it's comfortable to tip him more than the usual. It appears you have a great PD who deserves it.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.