Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: janbee

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 19, 2014

We're booked on this trip and are wondering if anyone else out there will be joining us. We're flying from US into Amsterdam a couple days early to scope it out a bit on our own.  Also looking at several choices for lodging for these 2 nights prior to joining the tour. Anyone have any hotel or B&B recommendations? Areas to stay? Thanks!

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

March 27, 2014

Janbee, your post has been here for over a week now and nobody has responded. That is not an unexpected result. There are only a dozen or so of us who routinely read and respond to messages posted on this forum. I suspect that a lot of others read but do not respond.

I do not have the answer to any of your questions, but I wanted you to know that your post has been read. I took the cruise in July 2006 and had a great time. My only advice is don't make the mistake made by one of our fellow cruisers concerning packing for the trip. He researched the climatology of the area and concluded that he needed only clothing for cool to cold weather conditions. To make a long story shorter, we encountered an epic heat wave during our cruise. Long-term weather trends can give you a rough idea, but you're almost certain to be fooled at least part of the time. As with almost any vacation trip, the key word for packing is "layers".

Not only do I not know anything about acccommodations in Amsterdam, we were 24 hours late getting to the ship when we took the cruise. Severe weather in the Washington, DC area delayed our flight for one whole day. We got to the ship about six hours before it departed Amsterdam. GCT had already made tentative arrangements to get us to Cologne to meet the ship there if we had missed the sailing.

It's a great trip. Go and have a marvelous time. "Don't set your expectations too high and you're almost certain to be pleasantly surprised."

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

March 27, 2014

Check on Rick Steves or any other travel book about accomodations in Amsterdam and if you are anywhere near the Centraal station, you will be near where the ship docks..You will have a great time.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

March 27, 2014

Another good place to look for accommodations is www.booking.com. I used them to book a hotel in Ireland for our post-tour break-away in 2013. They listed every hotel in the area in which we were looking and the prices they listed were the lowest available.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.