Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: don_carne@yahoo....

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 15, 2014

Well I am excited.  I just received my passport back with my visa for Russia.  I am doing the post trip extension to Estonia and Finland as well.  Anyone else going on this trip leaving out of New York flying Delta to Moscow on May 1, 2014?

Don

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

March 15, 2014

Don,

Unfortunately, you probably will not hear from anyone on your departure, as a very small percentage of travalers participate in this forum and an even smaller percentage of them participate in the "Meet Other Travelers"  thread. We took this cruise in 2004 when they had just reinstated it with a chartered ship. They only did 3 departures that year, apparently to work out the bugs for the next year, when they would be using their own toally refurbished ship, the Tikhi Don. Despite this, it was a wonderful trip. Even then, 10 years ago, Russia was a much more modern country than we expected. The people were welcoming, but, except for those dealing with tourists, knowledge of English was rare, but people worked to communicate in limited English and sign language and smiles. We would be glad to try to answer any questions that you would have. Doing so would help us remember and relive our trip. Hopefully the current political  situation will not will not cause any disruptions to your trip, but in our experience it should not. 

Enjoy you trip.

Author: don_carne@yahoo....

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 16, 2014

nanaandpapa,

Good of you to reply.  I don't have any great expectations of replies but if I don't post I have no chance!  I wanted people to know that I was given the visa for those who might be worried.  GCT will cancel the tour if there are any problems.  I have traveled many places and I have found people generally have the same desires to be happy and helpful.

I was in the Dominican Republic in February where I met 2 couples from Russia on their honeymoons.  Both spoke English.  One couple I hit it off with and we have emailed since my return.  I am hoping to meet up with them in Moscow but I am not sure how to contact them after I arrive.  That maybe a question I need to pose to GCT.

Cheers!

Don

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.