Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kmgtorrey

Trips Taken: 0

March 08, 2014

Hi,

This is my first experience with Grand Circle Travel and the first time I will be travelling solo.

Who else is going?? Would love to hear from you.  Let's take this opportunity to get to know one another a bit before we meet.  

Kathy 🍀🍀

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

March 08, 2014

Hi Kathy.

Since you have just joined the travel forum, I would like to let you know that only a small percentage of Grand Circle travelers particpate here. However, some participants have been on this trip and can probably answer any questions you might have.

Author: patmckinney

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

March 08, 2014

Kathie, I have never had a bad land trip with GCT. 

If at all possible, try to do the pre-trip to Northern Ireland.   From a historical perspective it will enhance your appreciation of the Ireland trip incredibly.  I do hope you might be able to do this.

There is something special about visiting countries, who like  the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, have gone through their "Troubles" and are now trying to bring peace back into their lives.

Top on my bucket list is the Balkans.  I still want to go to Ukraine.  My fathers family lived in Kiev so it is a missing part of my life by not seeing it.  We all have this amazing ability to travel to any part of the world but sometimes the world is not quite ready to receive us. Go while you are able.

Author: walshcs

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, the Canadian Maritimes incl. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI, Montreal (Quebec), Guatemala, and many USA cities incl. NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington DC, Portland Oregon, the Oregon coast, Maine coast, parts of Florida. I took a 10 day tour to Costa Rica where I was especially thrilled to experience the tropical plants, birds, volcanos, and met the friendly Ticos. I did Ireland in Depth with GCT Oct. 2011 and it was an inspiring, beautiful, and meaningful experience to finally visit the land of my Irish ancestors. Completed the Tuscany & the Amalfi Coast with the pre-trip to Venice April 21, 2012 and it was a travel dream fulfilled. I booked Guatemala with Tikal, Antigua and Atitlan for January 2013 and had a wonderful adventure discovering modern day Maya culture and learning about ancient Maya city states with my visit to Tikal. Very excited that OAT has brought back the trip to Japan and I leave on that tour Nov. 4, 2013 with the pre-trip to Tokyo. Now I finally have the resources to pursue my "bucket list" of foreign travel and the freedom to chart my own life's course. Ask questions that will satisfy your requirements/interests in a travel buddy. Looking forward to meeting you here and maybe in the world. Warm regards, Cate I'll post a photo when I remember to bring one from home. (Only have internet at work for now.)

Traveler Since: 2011

March 20, 2014

Dear Kathy,

This is a wonderful trip that has improved since I went with addition of an overnight in Kilkenny and a jaunting car ride to Ross Castle in Killarney.

You will be fine as a solo...there were NINE solo women on my Ireland trip and we formed a sisterhood from day one. I've given up on asking for people with my departure to get in touch prior to the trip as they never do. However, once I'm in country I make great friends with my travel companions.

Take the optional to Connemara and I hope you love Galway as much as we did.

Slainte! (cheers in Gaelic),

Cate

Author: sew0915@yahoo.co...

May 09, 2014

Hi Kathy,

I just signed up for the Ireland tour in November, my first time with GCT as well. I have traveled solo before but have usually had to pay a supplement, and or have been the only solo traveler in the group. I did not sign up for the Dublin extension however I am staying an extra 2 nights on my own. I am really looking forward to the trip. I have always wanted to see Ireland.

sue

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

May 09, 2014

Sue, 

I signed on for the Dublin extension and then realized that my to-do list was long enough to stay two more days. I was fine on my own, it's an easy city to get around. I took a tour to Newgrange and the Hill of Tara one day and also spent time (and shopped) In the wonderful archeology museum on Kildare. 

I got a good rate at the hotel where we stayed in Dublin  and didn't have to change my room. 

Author: rkauzlarich

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 2009

May 09, 2014

Luisa, 

What hotel was that? We are doing basically the same thing but made reservations at a different hotel because we felt that the rates published on the Internet for the GCT hotel (Ballsbridge) were too high. Did you arrange for your room once you got there? Did they charge you a discounted GCT rate?  Thanks for any information.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

May 10, 2014

The hotels have changed. We were staying at the Camden Court near St Stephen's Green. It was an easy walk to the center and there are restaurants and pubs in the neighborhood. When I decided to stay on I checked the Camden Court online and got as good a rate as with GCT, including breakfast. I had a large, quiet room.  Check a map, but It think it might be a better location than Ballsbridge.

I took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and paid about 30 euros, but that would depend on traffic -- time of day, etc.

Author: sew0915@yahoo.co...

June 12, 2014

I am staying 2 days in Dublin on my own. I booked at Stauntons On The Green which is right in center of town and very reasonable. I got it through Expedia. I will likely do a day tour to Northern Ireland on the Saturday. 

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

June 13, 2014

I went the same summer as Luisa and Cate did, a little earlier than their travel dates I think.  It was a great trip!  The pre-trip to Northern Ireland was not offered on my particular one, but three women traveling solo took the train from Dublin to spend part of a day there.  The original itinerary had almost no time in Dublin, which I thought was ridiculous, so I took the post-trip.  Then they changed the itinerary, because the Waterford glass showrooms had re-opened and that gave us an overnight there.  As far as most of us were concerned, that part was unnecessary unless you've never ever seen any glass manufactury.  But it did give us a little more time in Dublin on the main trip.  The Camden was a very nice hotel, centrally located, and on a tram line. But you could walk to St. Stephen's Green.  The historical museum was fascinating, so don't miss it.

Author: beth.fader@gmail...

July 20, 2014

I'm going solo as well, but traveling late Oct to early Nov. - probably the tour before yours!  From all I've read, it's seems as though we will be in good company. It will be a great trip I'm sure, have fun!

Author: lindoksu

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2007

August 03, 2014

Kathy, I will be on the same Ireland trip and looking forward to the experience. Not sure how much cold wet weather to expect but sure it will be a great trip as the other five have been. 

Countries Visited:

August 04, 2014

You will probably get quite a bit of rain and cold, but it rarely rains all day, mostly showers ranging from light to heavy. I only got really wet on the day that I went to Newgrange. It was raining hard at the Hill of Tara and some stayed on the bus, but I ventured out with others who didn't want to miss it ,so my legs got wet. When we got to Newgrange, it was more of a light rain and then cleared up. This was in October, but my first trip to Irelnad was in early May and the weather was about the same, some warmer days, but some pretty chilly too.

I wore a 3/4 rain jacket with hood and on cool days, a wool sweater beneath.

I remember a heavy shower in Galway and that was at the beginning of the trip, light rain in Dingle, light rain at Blarney, and the heavy shower when I was in Dublin at the end.

My advice: have a poncho, rain jacket or umbrella with you every day.

It's a good trip, you'll enjoy it.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.