Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: muzzer49

Trips Taken: 1

March 04, 2014

Returned from a wonderful trip to Bariloche and the Antarctica on January 29, 2014.  This was my 1st time with GCT.  They did a terrific job other than the meeting at the airport ( we had a problem and the pick up person couldn't speak English!!).  and some of the hotels.

The Amerian  Park Hotel in Buenos Aires is a fabulous location, but not a good hotel. They have no service.  They couldn't change a small bill except at the bar where we were given coins that were not Argentinian, but we didn't know it!! There was no hot water in our room---lukewarm, but no one did anything about it  even after we said something to our leader.  2 of the 4 lights in the hall were out and no one cared. The furniture in our room was falling apart, the bed skirts were filty and the shower had mold.

The hotel in Bariloche, Cacique Inacayal is fabulous unless you want to sleep.  We had requested a quiet room  so they gave us a "closet" size room where  3/4 of the small window looked at a wall.  That would all have been okay, but after 2 sleepless nights of listening to water fall on tin, we asked to be moved.  The move  to a room on the lake was no better.  With closed windows, no air or airconditioning  (it was 80 degrees during the day and we faced West) we bared the heat, but still listened to disco music until 5:00am.  We were ready to go stay at another hotel so we could sleep.  This hotel should only be used by people who are hard of hearing.

Lastly, the Corinthian ship.  It is well appointed, well laid out, outstanding food and staff.  BUt,,,,,, we could not use the toilets parts of at least 3 different days because they were having problems with the system.  There was hardly any pressure in the shower which they tried to fix, but did not succeed.  Lastly, we concluded that the thermostat in the room is only for looks.  It was so hot in there we had to leave our hall door open when we could.  So there are some real infrastructure problems on that ship.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

March 06, 2014

muzzer49, thank you so much for your feedback on the hotels and the ship. Someone will be contacting you offline within the next few days to discuss your trip.

Kind wishes,

Andrew, Forum Moderator

Author: rosebud

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Peru, Ecuador, the Amazon, Galapagos Islands, Machu Pichu, Patagonia, Argentina, Costa RIca, Sea of Cortez, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Windsor), Spain, England, the Baltics (Tallin, St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Berlin), Amsterdam, Italy, Greece, Egypt, Israel, Kenya, Namibia, China, New Zealand, Bhutan, Nepal

Traveler Since: 2007

March 07, 2014

We thought it was only our trip to Antarctica beginning February 2 where the ship was having problems with the heating and cooling. We, too, had determined that the cabin thermostat was only for show! Now that we have learned that other GCCL Antarctic travelers experienced the same problem on the Corintian, we are wondering why the heating/cooling problems have not been resolved all season.  Aside from the temperature issues which were certainly a detriment, the ship, its crew and the naturalists were wonderful, and Antarctica is a fantastic trip.  

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

March 07, 2014

Annmarie or Andrew:

Could you please publicly address the issues with the Corinthian and the hotels on the Antarctica trip?  Those of us with an upcoming trip would appreciate knowing that these problems have been resolved before our trip.

Judy

March 07, 2014

Judy,

I will look into these matters. I will try to have an answer for you early next week.

Kind regards,

Andrew, Forum Moderator

Author: rosebud

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Peru, Ecuador, the Amazon, Galapagos Islands, Machu Pichu, Patagonia, Argentina, Costa RIca, Sea of Cortez, Jamaica, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Windsor), Spain, England, the Baltics (Tallin, St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Berlin), Amsterdam, Italy, Greece, Egypt, Israel, Kenya, Namibia, China, New Zealand, Bhutan, Nepal

March 08, 2014

On February 25th, after our return from Antarctica on the Corinthian, GCCL sent me a letter advising that "due to an unexpected maintenance issue on board the M/S Corinthian, there was a problem with the heating in your cabin." Now that I know this problem occurred to customers who had travelled on the Corinthian prior to our trip, I am disappointed that GCCL deemed our temperature problem "unexpected."  I am disappointed because I have always thought this company to be protective, upfront and honest with its travellers.  GCCL has known about the heating/cooling issue for some time, yet the problem has gone unresolved, and worse GCCL has failed to warn its customers to properly prepare for this problem. 

That being said, and as I have stated before, the rest of the adventure was spectacular and should not be avoided because of the cabin temperature discomfort.

Author: mertziek

Traveler Since: 2010

March 09, 2014

I stayed in the NH Crillon in Buenos Aires and thought the hotel was a bit shabby compared to those I stayed in with GCT when I did the Chile-Argentina trip in 2010.  However, it was in a great location.  So not sure if location is the determining factor or the price but given the overall price of this trip, I was a bit surprised.  It was not unbearable, just not up to the usual GCCL standards.  And my cabin was hot on the Corinthian II, too, but what a great ship and staff.

Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

March 27, 2014

FORUM MODERATOR ANDREW:

Do you now have an answer for me - it's been 3 weeks?

Judy

March 28, 2014

Judy,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. In researching this, it seems that the heating issue was only in a small group of cabins. The maintainence crew of the Corinthian are well aware of this now, and we anticipate this being fixed long before our Antarctica trips beging again in December.

At this time, it's too early to say whether we'll be using the same hotels for this trip or not. We are certainly aware of the feedback regarding them, and this will have a strong influence on whether we return to these hotels or not.

If you have specific questions regarding your reservation, please contact our Traveler Support team at 1-800-221-0814.

Kind regards,

Andrew, Forum Moderator

Countries Visited:

March 28, 2014

Andrew,

Thanks for your answer.  GCT has recently acquired the Corinthian. Even though as you say the heating issue was only in a small group of cabins, that's too many for the comfort of the guests.  Since  GCT owns the Corinthian now the problem needs to be addressed.  

Judy

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.