Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: santers@msn.com

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 01, 2014

I am planning on the May 1st tour 2014.  I need advice on what type of temperatures we will probably have & are there places that we will not be able to go to that are on our itinerary.  My concern is us going too soon in the season. 

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

March 01, 2014

We took the trip in May 2010, and there were no places on the itinerary that we couldn't get into.  We suspect that even though this winter was more severe than when we went, you will still be able to visit all the places on your itinerary.  As to temperature, when we landed in Rapid City SD, the temperatures were in the high 60's-low 70's.  We wore short sleeved shirts and long pants, although we could have  worn shorts.  At some of the higher elevations, there was snow, however, our Grand Circle jackets and fleeces were more than adequate, although the wife wore gloves.  It may be prudent to take a pair with you, particularly if you're going to take pictures, which we highly recommend.  The trip is very photogenic.  But take thin gloves.  You won't need really heavy gloves anyway.  

When we got to New Mexico and even Salt Lake City, it was hot, and we wore shorts and tee shirts.  So the temperatures are going to vary from chilly to warm.  If you have a variety of clothes, you'll be fine.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2005

March 01, 2014

Yes, it IS early in the season, so go prepared. I'm sure you will probably get to see all the sights on the itinerary, but you need to be prepared for all kinds of weather.  We were in a blizzard on the fourth of May once at the Grand Canyon!  It can be snowy and cold, or lovely and warm at any of these western national parks at any time of the year.

Take long underwear! Take an umbrella. You need long pants as well as short ones, warm gloves, warm socks and sturdy broken-in shoes, a warm, water resistant jacket or a warm fleece with a water resistant windbreaker, (I used my Land's End Squall last time we were in Yellowstone in late June, for it was cold and windy and there was still plenty of snow on the ground. But on that same trip, in Cody Wyoming, I had on t-shirts and capris.)  The Utah National Parks are the same way.....You never know what the weather will be like. The abundance of mountains and the altitude differences contribute to the variety of weather conditions you will encounter.

That being said, you are in for such a treat.  We love the parts of America you will be seeing, and the scenery on this itinerary is spectacular.  Trees and flowers will be beginning to show in many areas, and you may have a chance to see baby animals and birds. You will return home with a new appreciation for the vastness and the beauty of our country. Have a great time!

Author: santers@msn.com

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 0

March 06, 2014

Thank you fellow travelers for your response to my concerns for a May 1st trip!  They haave helped me to re-organize my plans for what to take.  Blessings to all of you -

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.