Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gsyfert

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2012

February 26, 2014

We have just received our trip confirmation for Antarctica, January, 2015 and are in cabin # 342 which states it is a "partial obstructed view " cabin.  Can anyone tell me about how limited this view is and if it really made a difference? Thanks

GAS

Author: retirement

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2006

February 26, 2014

Since so few GCT/OAT travelers utilize this feature of the website. Chances are you may not get a response from travelers that actually occupied this particular cabin.  We had a cabin on the 5th deck , our cabin had a wonderful large walk-in closet/storage room, and a small balcony which was great for taking photo’s (weather permitting).  If you do a Google search under Corinthian 2 cabin 342 you can see various websites that show the ship photo’s with  a bit larger view than GCT, and you can see there might be some sort of obstruction.  However none mention what the obstruction might be.  I would also call a GCT representative and ask them the same question.  When investing in the cost of this trip, and chances are you will never have an opportunity for this  once in a lifetime experience, I would recommend you upgrade to a different cabin.  Sorry I can’t help anymore than this.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

February 26, 2014

Even though the Corinthian is classified as a 'luxury expedition ship,' we suggest that you be less concerned with what a 'partial obstructed view is.'  If you were taking a cruise on one of the major cruise lines, that might be a matter of concern, but you're going to Antarctica.  And in fact, the 'partial obstructed view' might actually be an advantage if the Drake Passage is particularly active.  Even though the Corinthian is less affected by that than are the smaller expedition ships, you are NOT going to be looking out or even wanting to look out if the ship is rocking and rolling in the Drake Passage, although, as we said, the Corinthian is less affected by this than are other vessels.   Furthermore, having gone to Antarctica, we can tell you that you want to be as LOW as possible in the ship, because the lower you are, the less affected you will be by the vaguaries of the Drake Passage.  When you upgrade you generally go higher.  The lowest cabins are frequently the cheapest.  In a perverse way, when we went to Antarctica, the people who paid the least were the least sick. 

Author: gsyfert

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2012

March 04, 2014

Thank you for the input on the partially obstructed cabin.  We are not on the January 17th trip so, unfortunately, will not be neighbors.  Have a wonderful trip!

GAS

Author: rosebud

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Alaska, The Amazon, Amsterdam, Antarctica, Argentina, Canada (Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Toronto, Windsor), Bahamas, Bermuda, Bhutan, the Baltics (Tallin, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Copenhagen, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; Berlin, Germany), China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Galapagos Islands, Greece, Hawaii, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Machu Pichu, Mexico (Sea of Cortez, La Paz), Mongolia, Namibia, New Zealand, Nepal, Patagonia, Peru, Spain, Virgin Islands,

Traveler Since: 2007

March 04, 2014

We came back from Antarctica on February 16, and had a cabin on the third floor. The cabin you refer to is in the middle of the ship -- a much less rocky and quieter location than even two or three cabins further forward without any obstructions. Both of our crossings were extremely rough, and while we did look out of the window and took photos from our cabin (admittedly they wren't magazine quality due to the rain and wave action against the window), you won't be spending much time in your cabin after the crossing. I wouldn't spend more $ just to avoid the obstructionwhen you already have a well-placed cabin. 

In an earlier posting, I mentioned that the temperature in our cabin, and those on the lower floors, couldn't be properly regulated and we were very uncomfortable due to excessive heat, while the upper floors were too cold.  To GCT's credit, we just received notice today that we will receive a partial refund as a result of the heating/cooling problems on the ship. I appreciate GCT's decision, made without any request from me.  

Despite the temperature issues, this was a spectaculer trip. GO! 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.