Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1999

March 07, 2014

Luisa, thank you for reminding me of my Elderhostel trips. I have been on about 25 most of which have been in the US and Canada plus three in Europe. All of them have had very competent tour leaders who were residents of the areas we were visiting.The most memorable and my all-time favorite was a 2002 trip to Russia which was similar to GCT's Russial Revealed trip. There were nearly 130 participants who were divided into four groups with an experienced tour guide from Moscow for each group. We were also accompanied by a trip coordinator from the Boston area company which planned the trip and made the arrangements. I will never forget charming Lidia who was assigned to my #2 yellow group. When I later received a GCT brochure announcing their new trip to Russia, I was delighted to see that Lidia was the featured PD for the trip. So it's possible some of you have had the good fortune of traveling with her.

Author: judynagy@aol.com

GCT Trips Taken: 2

May 14, 2014

Delighted to hear that tips for drivers and local guides are now included, it will be nice not to have to deal with those tips.  If someone is outstanding or performs a special service, we will of course be happy to offer a cash tip.  Our PDs, stewards and dining room people have been so wonderful on our last two trips, and you develop a much more personal relationship, so tipping them individually is the best, at least for us.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2002

May 14, 2014

Hey, hootie. I jut today read your post of Feb.28 in which you asked me how we found out about the soft drink package on the River Harmony. Somehow I had missed it. The short answer is we don't remember. It must have been mentioned in the papers we received either at home or on the ship. But we may have been calling on our ocean cruise experience and just asked about it. But it worked at lunch and any other time of day in the bar. There was no fountain drink set up in either the restaurant or the bar. All of her drinks, Coke Light (Diet Coke), were poured from a bottle. When the First Mate walked into the bar the bar tender automatically reached for the Coke Light bottle.

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

May 15, 2014

Captain Larry...

Thanks for your (quick!) response to my beverage question.  I kept checking for reply...thought maybe I was being "shunned".

Next river cruise (Dec.), I'll ask at the bar...& tell them the captain sent me!

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

May 15, 2014

The last few River Cr;uises we were on with Grand Circle, they mentioned it the first night for those who want their own wine, drinks, etc, over and above the included wine and soft drink at each evening meal.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.