Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: rkauzlarich

Traveler Since: 2009

February 09, 2014

We are thinking of taking the England, Scotland, Wales trip but were very disappointed to find that it does not include any time in Liverpool with a Beatles Tour. Has anyone taken this trip and found a way to do this on your own?  Yes, it is possible to go there from London, but it is a long way!  We are wondering why GCT does not offer a Beatles Tour in Liverpool as a stop or as an optional. Any thoughts or advice other than to travel with another company?  Thanks in advance.

Author: janice!

Countries Visited:

many

Traveler Since: 1999

February 09, 2014

In my opinion, this tour covers too large an area in what amounts to just twelve and a half days of sight-seeing. I don't know how many participants would be interested in a Beatles tour but it wouldn't appeal to me even if there was more time.

Author: halfpint

Traveler Since: 1989

February 09, 2014

I did the trip in question a few summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it but of course no Beatles tour.  Sounds like that might be a trip in itself.  Good luck, probably available somewhere or as a self guided.

Author: esther

February 11, 2014

Dear rkauzlarich:  you can do it!  You might think about arranging your air in to London (for the GCT tour) and home from Liverpool.   Book a hotel near Albert Dock  for 3 nights in Liverpool and make your plans.

Day 1- morning train Edinborough to Liverpool - this is a 4   hour ride. Trains are fast, clean and run on time
on arrival visit the Beatles Museum on Albert Dock  (www.beatlesstory.com)
Day 2 - do the full day Beatles Tour (http://www.beatlestours.co.uk/) -- you should book ahead
Day 3 - see if the National Trust is offering tours of the Beatles childhood homes (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/beatles-childhood-homes/)  Book ahead
Fly home ( from nearby Manchester airport, closest international airport)  the next morning.
All this would entail is a "breakaway" with GCT, if you are taking their air; or just go ahead and book your own air.   Good luck with this -- I've done this exact thing ( train from London) and it is very doable.

Author: rkauzlarich

February 11, 2014
Esther, Thanks for all the helpful information, especially the websites. We have done "breakaway" with GCT before so we know how that works. We just hadn't thought about doing it for this trip, so thanks for suggesting it.

Author: porkchop55

Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

February 12, 2014

We did the England, Scotland and Wales trip last April with a pretrip breakaway.  i wanted to see sites in Kent where my family came from inthe 1630's, so we rented at car at Heathrow and drove down and then retured the car at the airport and trained into London.  We then spent 3 days on our own before joining the group at the London hotel.  Everywhere we wen the people were very friendly and helpful and the signs were kind of in English.  Some translation required. :-)

I would suggest that it might be easer to do Liverpool out of London.  You could fly into London and spend a few days there recovering from the flight and seeing the sites and then train to Liverpool.  You can also get Beatles tours from London.  Google "Beatles tours from London" and you will find companies with tours.

Author: jannsegal

Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Been to 70 countries and 40 states so far in 4 decades of travel.

March 05, 2014

Tran from London's Euston station to Liverpool is only 2 hours non-stop..no need to  fly. Cost is about 13 pounds. Beatles tours all over Liverpool..I spent 4 days there on a solo travel jaunt around that part of Europe and loved it. People go for weeks believe it or not, just to Liverpool. Lots of other culture there as well to see and enjoy. And you are about a half hour by train from northern Wales. I know some of the top notch Beatles guides there..and one gal I know who actually keeps the key and lets folks in to St Peters Church where John met Paul...

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.