Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mmarni52

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2012

February 07, 2014

anyone going this date?

Author: robollinger

Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 2011

April 08, 2014

Wife and I are on this trip.  We're doing the London pre-trip and Scotland post.  We're from Central Florida and retired. First time to England, but we have travelled in Ireland.

Biggest concern is London pretrip "on our own."  I don't know what to expect from the Trip Advisor that is supposed to meet with us each day.  I have questions about tickets to points of interest and theatre.  Also wonder how to not repeat what we will do with the group later.

Glad to hear from someone else on this trip.

Author: jl.anderson

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

April 08, 2014

robollinger:

For anytime in London or anywhere in Europe on your own, please consult Rick Steves guidebooks.  I believe there is one just for London.  Get the most up to date version you can.  It contains all the details on the best activities and great easy to follow maps as well as information on how to buy tickets, etc

Judy

Author: porkchop55

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

April 09, 2014

Robollinger -  No need to worry about repeating what the group will do on the main trip in London.  The main trip tour of London is a morning drive by tour of the center of the city and then an afternoon on your own.   The morning tour include photo stops at St. Paul’s and Buckingham Palace and they will drop you off at Trafalgar Square at the end of the morning tour if you want to start your free afternoon from there.

I second JLanderson suggestion to get a Rick Steves guide.  I did this trip last year at this time and used Rick’s guide for my London pre-trip planning.

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

April 09, 2014

It's been several years since I was in London, but my "don't miss" advice is the British Museum. I also enjoyed the hop-on/off bus and seeing The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theater. And of course, I had a pint at a pub.

I was visiting a friend so wandered about on my own. I'm sure that I'd consulted guide books and Rick Steeves is a good one. He usually includes good maps. There will probably be instructions on how to get theater tickets, etc.

I stayed in Bloomsbury, near Russell Square and the University of London, a nice area for walking and convenient for restaurants and grocery stores. I remember picking up lunch at a grocery and eating in a nearby park.

Have fun.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.