Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: patmckinney

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

February 06, 2014
I was looking at a brochure from another travel company and they start "Day 1" as the day that you actually arrive overseas. If you think about it, the number of days should be the days that you are rendered a service and that normally starts when you get picked up at the airport upon arrival. The brochure was from a GCT competitor--GCT--any thoughts to changing the "number of trip days"? Just curious.

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

February 06, 2014

I believe the way I read it is IF Grand Circle made the plane arrangemnents, the day 1 is the day you start on your trip.  When they pick you up, it is day 2.   My interpretations?????

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 06, 2014
Halfpint is correct about the way that GCT counts the days. A trip including air is advertised as one day longer (the travel day) than if you make your own air arrangements. OAT/GCT has been including the air travel day for years and people seem to understand it. I don't think they are going to change it now.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

February 06, 2014

The brochure lists the days starting with Day 1, and that always says Travel Day.  The last day when you go home, whether or not it's first thing in the morning, is the last day.  That's if you make your flight arrangements through GCT/OAT. 

There was a woman on the Russia Revealed trip I took in 2010 that was on the same flight from Heathrow to Kiev for the pre-trip, but she stayed in St. Petersburg a few days longer at the end.  I don't know how her flight arrangements worked, but she had the transfer from the Kiev airport to the hotel.  At the end of the trip, we had to be off the ship early so they could clean it for a group arriving later that day.  They took those of us with later flights to a central spot with a large parking lot, a few churches, a large souveneir shop with good WCs, and views of the Neva River.  We could get coffee and use the facilities in the shop, see the interiors of the churches, and take pictures.  That woman got a ride on the bus to that point and had arranged for a car with driver to meet her there.  She was fluent in Russsian, so she could do things like that.  And that was her last day, as far as GCT was concerned.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

February 06, 2014

This has been a long time pet peeve of mine, but it is standard in the travel industry. I always use nights in a hotel to do price comparisons.

Author: noseycat

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

February 06, 2014
Hard for me to see what the problem is.

Author: grammyflo

GCT Trips Taken: 13

February 06, 2014
I always subtract 2, since the first day arriving is a wasted getting settled in time and the last date is filled with bags outside, quick breakfast (I use the term loosely), transfer to the airport and homeward. That is why I object to an 8 day cruise, which in my actuality is only a 6 day cruise and after doing it once, decided it was not worth the travel time and money.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

February 07, 2014

We concur with nanandpapa regarding the length of what we consider a trip to be, because, as they have said, that is useful for comparison.  Our concerns, as are theirs, are how much time is spent 'in country.'  Getting there and returning, true, represent time away from home, and obviously add to the length of the time one is away, but we believe that the actual days we are 'touring' are the ones which the trip cost considers.  No matter whom one books a trip from, one has to get there and get home.  Grand Circle/OAT does give you that information in their catalog and brochures in the heading of each trip, where the number of days of the land portion are listed in addition to the total time( which includes transportation to and from the trip to home ).  Using the day-by-day itinerary and the numbers Grand Circle assigns to those days are less useful and can be somewhat confusing, as they may include the travel days.

Author: captainlarry

GCT Trips Taken: 10

February 07, 2014

Just another example that one must learn "brochure speak" when looking at advertisments for tours. Some other examples are "visit" (stop and get off the bus) as opposed to "view" (see it from the bus window as you drive by). And " take the opportunity to" means it costs you extra. I think I have it down and then somebody comes up with a new way of saying things. But, as far as I know, all tour companies call the day you leave home day 1.

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

February 07, 2014

How long is a trip reminded me of a conversation I overheard way back when CB radios were in vogue.  I was traveling on Interstate 40 and the conversation went like this:

"Breaker, Breaker goodbuddy--have you seen any county mounties west on I-40?"

"Hey goodbuddy, no county mounties,  all I have seen are some hen ways!"

"Nerver heard that before, What's a hen way?"

"Most weigh about thee pounds!" came the response

Author: arnold

GCT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2004

February 07, 2014

For those of us on the East Coast flying into Europe,  most of  Day 1 is spent in our own homes,  asmany overseas flights do not depart until evening.  A late arrival,  connections being what they sometimes are,  often means that nearly the whole of Day 2is spent in transit.   For those unlucky enough to have a 4 AM departure , (It has happened to us) the last day is likewise a waste.Subtracting  3 days gives us a closer approximation of how many days   we have of actual touring.  

Author: ray.

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 7

February 07, 2014

They did that so that they can advertise the trip cost per day to be much less.

Author: forgerr

GCT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Antartcia-China-Italy-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-etc

Traveler Since: 2008

February 10, 2014
I agree with some, more splitting hairs than needed. Need to know how days total I'm going to be gone so I can board the dog for the correct amount of time. Wouldn't want him to be left out in the cold ( Ohio) Yes, the total days brings down the per day cost of the trip without air to GCT/OATS. However, does it make a diff if you paid GCT/OATS for the flight or not, you still pay the price and it's added into your total budget. Just my thinking

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

February 10, 2014

I agree.  Their price-per-day is a selling point for them, but it's meaningless to me.  The total price is what I'm interested in.  And that's what I budget for.  I also don't add the cost of meals taken on our own to the cost of the trip.  Whether I'm away or on the trip, I still have to eat.  I charge everything, so I don't have to carry much cash.

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

February 11, 2014
When most meals were included I didn't budget for a few lunches or dinners, but now some trips have as many as 16 meals (lunches and dinners) "on your own" I would add an approximate cost of those onto the overall cost of the trip, especially since the currency conversion is not in our favor in many countries.

Countries Visited:

February 11, 2014
When most meals were included I didn't budget for a few lunches or dinners, but now some trips have as many as 16 meals (lunches and dinners) "on your own" I would add an approximate cost of those onto the overall cost of the trip, especially since the currency conversion is not in our favor in many countries.

Countries Visited:

February 11, 2014

That's true, Luisa.  But I find I am very satisfied with a bowl of soup and some bread for lunch or a container of yogurt.  Since breakfast is included, I always eat more substantially then than I do at home.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.