Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

January 31, 2014

I've been away for a week and not able to use the internet.  So I don't know when this started.  Why have the actual dates for posts disappeared?  They show on the lists, but if I click on a topic  -  then it's back to "one hour ago," "two days ago," etc.  Just like the reviews were.  Or maybe, still are, for all I know.  I haven't looked.

I am using Windows 7 and have tried both Mozilla Firefox and Chrome, and it's that way on both.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

January 31, 2014

Hi Pauline, welcome back - from some place warm, I hope. There are threads about this in the Website & Forum Feedback sections of both the GCT and OAT forums.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 31, 2014

Thanks, Janice_

That means it was done on purpose.  I'm finding this forum more difficult to use every time they "improve" it.  And I positively hate this pale blue!

Yes, we went somewhere warm.  My son used his timeshare to find a two-bedroom/two-bathroom unit in Riviera Beach, Florida.  Right on the ocean with a beach and pools.  It had a great kitchen with state-of-the-art appliances, but we only used it for breakfast.  So now, it's back to winter, but I can deal with that after this break.

Pauline

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

January 31, 2014

Hello Pauline -

Welcome back!

Thank you for your comments.  As you could see from the other threads, there are varying opinions on the the time/date change!

The threads have been reviewed by our Web Development Team.  On February 6, 2014, we will have another web release.  We hope to have a suitable solution for everyone by that date.

As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at website@gct.com if you have questions or additional comments.

Kind Regards,
Michelle
Web Community Manager

Author: ed watts

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 31, 2014

Michelle, it seems that each "enhancement" just makes it more difficult for people to use the Travel Forum.  Rather than work on what is wrong with the Forum, it appears that the web team tries to tweek things that were already working well and was easy for people to understand.  For example, it does not make much sense for "recent posts" to be the last item which, as a result,  makes you scroll through the entire list each time you go to a new topic. It also takes a real sluth to find out how to actually post a new topic or pose a question.  It is no wonder why very few OAT/GCT travelers actually use the Travel Forums. I can probably count on my  fingers and toes the number of different travelers that have posted on the Travel Forum since the time a couple years ago that I discovered travel with OAT/GCT.  I have traveled extensively and, personally, really need  to see a lot more participation on the forum in order to gain some new ideas, suggestions and/or places to visit.  There have been several good suggestions from other participants of the forum but, to date, I have not seen many of these implenented.  The only way to increase usage is to make the site as user friendly as  possible..   

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

February 01, 2014
I have to agree with Ed's comment about "tweaking" what wasn't broken. And especially leaving the most current threads at the end. I also thought a major complaint was that there was little space allotted to the most recent posts so that some disappear the day they were written, while other categories have the same posts listed for days or even months.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

February 01, 2014

Another minor aggravation of the Recent Posts is that they are single spaced. while all other categories are triple spaced with alternating bands of shading to help them stand out. I have no problem with the placement of the recent posts, but would prefer that the number diplayed be increased to at least 10, as one person returning from a trip, and replying to many current posts can fill all 5 entries. In fact, it would be  better if the list would contain all posts posted  aor replied to in the last 48 hours.

Author: janice!

GCT Trips Taken: 7

February 01, 2014

OK, I have a better idea for Recent Posts. Rather than increase the number of entries, display the list In a scrollable list that would allow you to view any number of posts. The list should also include the time with the date which would make it easier to identify posts which have been made since your last visit to the forum. The posters' usernames could be eliminated if needed to make room for the time. I agree with Jack that they would be easier to read with more space between lines.

As for the current location of Recent Posts, I can get to them quickly by pressing the End key and then the Page Up key. I can't do that on my iPad but it only take a couple of flicks.

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

February 03, 2014

Hello Everybody -

Thank you for your candid comments around the forum layout. 

Wattsed, in the past, we have had requests to display the most recent posts first in a thread - rather having the oldest ones appear first. At the moment, I cannot advise a completion date for this request. However, we are aware this is something you would like.

Nanaandpapa, thank you for your suggestion around the single spacing in the "Most Recent" posts section.  Your idea - along with this whole thread (and Janice_'s suggestion) - has been forwarded to our Web Development Team for consideration.

As always, should you have additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at website@gct.com.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Web Community Manager

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.