Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jmk63

Traveler Since: 2001

January 22, 2014

I will be going on the Tuscany and Amalfi Coast tour in March, and during free time in Florence would like to go to Academia Gallery to see the statue of David. A recent traveler review says that "with pre-planning" she was able to get tickets in advance, but there was no explanation how that was done. Searching on the web found comments that it is not a good idea to book online, but a phone call was the way to go. Another says it is important to have the "ticket in hand" (not "will call"). One traveler review said the tour director helped purchase tickets, but can I expect that to always be the case? Bottom line: any information about purchasing tickets to Academia, how to get to the Gallery, etc., would be appreciated.

Author: gobuckeyes

Traveler Since: 2005

January 22, 2014

I can only comment that you definitely should have "reservations" for the Accedamia Gallery. I visited the gallery several years ago and stood in line for over 2 hours. The line went around the building, fortunately the side of the building was shaded. Every time the line started to move another tourist bus drove up and went ahead of us. I was on a cruise that stopped in Livorno, I took the train from Livorno to Florence. The train station in Florence is within walking distance to all the attractions in Florence (including the Accedamia Gallery).  

http://www.tickitaly.com/images/livery/florencemap.gif

Author: jl.anderson

Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

Traveler Since: 2007

January 22, 2014

Hello:

I always use Rick Steves guides to Europe for well, everything Europe.  Check out this link on how to visit David successfully:

http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/making-museum-reservations-in-florence

Countries Visited:

OAT/GCT: China, Peru, Ecuador, Ukraine, Russia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda; 35+ more countries

January 27, 2014

Hello jmk63,

Did you ever see the advice you received from fellow posters?

Author: porkchop55

Countries Visited:

Great Britain, Israel, Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Tunisia, China, Peru, Canada, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji, American Samoa, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea

Traveler Since: 2004

January 28, 2014

We took that trip back in 2005 in January and there were no lines to see David, but in March i agree with JLAnderson's suggestion to follow Rick Steves guide.  Whenever I travel in Europe on my own or with GCT I always take a Rick Steves guide book.  

When traveling with GCT where it is not as important to have the latest inforation I've found that buying the a 1 or2 year old  eddition of the guide book works fine.  Amazon has older versions of Rick's guide books for much less than the current years edition.

Author: ginirn

Countries Visited:

US including Hawaii. Ireland twice.

Traveler Since: 2013

January 28, 2014
Be sure to contact your tour director prior to purchasing tickets to make sure you will be in Florence on the day scheduled. I purchased a ticket for a gallery but the director changed the day for Florence so it was wasted. I went by the "final itinerary" which was not "final". No biggie but it was disappointing. Since it was my first GC trip I didn't realize I should have contacted her before purchasing. Sometime last minute changes are unavoidable.

Author: jmk63

Traveler Since: 2001

January 28, 2014

Hi jlanderson....Yes, I did get your reply and very much appreciated it. So here's a belated "thank you," as the Rick Steves site was most helpful. Thanks also to ginirn since your idea to contact the trip leader first  was also a good idea. I do wish past GCT travelers on the Tuscany/Amalfi Coast tour would respond as to how they personally purchased tickets,  how they handled getting to the gallery, how much time was needed etc. We GCT travelers are certainly lucky to have this forum!

Countries Visited:

January 31, 2014

Hello,

If you do not get the answers you are seeking from fellow GCT travelers, you may want to consult your program director when it gets closer to the time as well as checking out a Rick Steves Florence guidebook for complete directions on how to reach "David".  You can even borrow those guidebooks from your local library.

Take care,

Judy

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.