Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: hootie

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

Traveler Since: 2001

January 21, 2014

I haven't seen any mention by forum members on GC's recent email in regard to rating interest in possible new trips.  Usually someone posts/comments quickly.  Am I missing something?!? 

I did the survey right away & now I can't even remember where the trips went.  I think there were at least two trips I marked as "highly" interested. 

I DO remember thinking the costs were pretty pricey, especially if your spouse goes, and mine won't let me go alone!

p.s.

Hi Ed...you remember me!  Hottie

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

January 22, 2014

From time to time, someone posts a thread either here or to the OAT forum describing a new trip which has come out or one that they want to take.  Right now, on the OAT forum there are a couple of discussions regarding the new OAT trips and what OAT should be offering in the future.  Since the Company decided to make clearer distinctions between the Grand Circle and OAT brands, discussions have tended to restrict themselves to what the offerings of the particular brands are.  Regardless, if there is a particular trip or trips that you think Grand Circle should be offering under the Grand Circle brand, why not post them as a thread topic under the particular travel region where they would apply?  We're sure you'll get a response both from forum participants and a moderator who will undoubtedly forward your topic to the appropriate management.  We believe that management gets some of its best ideas from these threads.  After all, Grand cCrcle did not grow to its present market share by ignoring its loyal clients.

Author: garyrr

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 16
Countries Visited:

Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, New Zealand, Greece, Turkey, Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy, Ireland, Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Zambia

Traveler Since: 2000

January 22, 2014

7c

Clearer distinction between GCT and OAT? I had not noticed that! I hope you are right. They really need to make sure people can see differences besides group size. ADVENTURE needs to be more obvious with OAT. 

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

January 22, 2014
Hi Hootie (aka Hottie), I remember the thread and Ed's typo; it was fun. I filled out the survey but can't remember details either, except as you did, noticed some high prices. I've been looking at a few 2014 itineraries and have a seen trips with a lot of "meals on your own." One 13-day trip has six days with just breakfast included. Some others have more than that, many more than I remember on any of my trips.

Author: svncontinents

GCT Trips Taken: 7
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2007

January 22, 2014

Ping-garyrr-There certainly are differences and they are becoming clearer with some regularity.  Beginning with the name-Grand Circle Cruise Line.  Many of the trips under the Grand Circle brand are cruises, including Antarctica( it's really a luxury cruise-not an adventure trip ).  Where there are land trips under the Grand Circle Brand which happen to overlap with OAT trips, just compare the itineraries.  You'll see there's more and somewhat different activities that clients who book the Grand Circle trip get as compared to what OAT gets.  Accommodations in many instances differ as well.  Where there is no overlap, you'll find that the land trips offered under the Grand circle brand are to locations which we would characterize as 'civilized' as compared to OAT, which tends to travel to locations that we would characterize characterize as 'exotic."

It seems that one of the growth strategies is to enlarge the offerings under each brand and market them to the public as different kinds of experiences, which in fact, they are.  We believe there's a lot more to the difference between brands than the size of the group.  However, the only OAT trip which we have taken( and we've taken a mess of them ), that we would characterize as adventure, was Nepal.  the others we would characterize as travel to exotic locations.  In Nepal, the physical activity and the basic accommodations lent itself more to 'adventurous experiences' as opposed to sightseeing exotic sights.  But think of it any way you want; the brands are different, and management is attempting to highlight those differences.  But despite that, they have managed to keep clients understanding that regardless of the brand, they get the same service and attention.  

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.