Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: beverlyguest

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

July 22, 2010

We are planning to go tp Australia in November to celebrate our 50th anniversary. I am concerned because I had a total knee replacement in Jine. I am doing very well and able to walk withpout any cane,walker etc. How strenuous is this trip and are there any restictions concerning any physical capabilities?

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 23, 2010

Wow, you're really brave to take on a trip so soon after knee replacement. It's great that you're walking well so soon, so you should be in pretty good shape in five months.

If you're talking about the Aus/New Zealand/Fiji trip, I think the hardest part will be the long flight from LAX to Sydney then changing planes to Cairns. However, the Qantas flight was quite comfortable, even in coach. I get up and walk a lot and had an aisle seat. I live on the east coast so spent a night in an airport hotel before and after the flights. Business class should be even better.

I did not take either of the extensions so cannot comment on those.

I don't remember a lot of walking or a lot of hills, except in Auckland. I have a bad knee and found walking down the steep hill from the hotel painful. A cane or trekking pole would have helped there. Sydney and Cairns are flat, as are Queenstown and Christchurch. Milford Sound is beautiful and the ride from Queenstown and back offers spectacular scenery. There might be stairs in a few places, but your husband and a cane could help you there.

Fiji at the end of the trip is heavenly and a wonderful way to end the trip.

Good luck with your recovery. I hope you take the trip and have a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary.

Author: beverlyguest

GCT Trips Taken: 2
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2010

July 23, 2010

Thanks for your response. I feel confident in going now, thanks to your reply. Life is too short and I would hate missing out on going. Thanks again

Author: luisa

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 2
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

July 24, 2010

I love your spirit! I'm so glad that you decided to go, it's a wonderful trip.

Something I did not think of yesterday. On some of my trips, a few people have gone a day or two earlier to give themselves time to rest and adjust to the time change. It's called "breakaway travel." On my last trip there were a few people who arrived early and I stayed on three days at the end. The charge for changing the flight days was $75 and well worth it to me. I wish I'd done it on the Australia trip, I was exhausted the first couple of days. You would have to make hotel and transfer arrangements but that's no big deal. I'm not sure it's available on every trip but  it's something to consider when you register. If you've already registered and want to do breakaway, you could call and change it.

I usually pack a collapsible trekking pole but don't think I did for the Aus. trip. It helps me with balance on stairs with no rails and takes some pressure off my bad knee on  hills. On one trip, a man sometimes used a collapsible cane.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.