Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mertziek

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

January 14, 2014

Quick question for those who have recently taken this trip and did not do the post trip.  The flight from Ushuaia gets back to Buenos Aires in the early afternoon and flight home to the states is not until late evening.  Did you stay at the airport the entire time or did GCT have something planned?  Also, you come back to the national airport from Ushuaia but have to fly out from the international airport back to the states.  Does GCT provide transportation between the two airports or are they physically connected and walking distance?

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

January 14, 2014

I can not answer most of your questions as I went to Antarctica with another provider but the distance between the domestic airport and the international airport in Buenos Aires is 21 miles (34K); therefore, it is definitely not within walking distance.   With my provider I had to book my own air and booked transfer between the two in advance.  There are several companies that provide such transportation in case GCT does not and you can, like I did, book them in advance. These services have several means of transportation starting with cars, mini-bus, vans and buses.  The cost is dependent on which mode you chose. We took a car and the time between the two airports took about an hour.  The other means take a bit longer. When I booked, LAN was the only airline that flies to Ushuaia from the international airport but it was a very early morning flight and the connection was not good.  I elected a noon flight from the domestic airport the day before actual boarding of the ship due to a warning that flights between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia were not reliable and I did not want to take a chance of booking an early morning flight on the actual day of boarding.  I would assume that GCT would take all this into consideration if you have booked air with them.

Author: mertziek

Trips Taken: 5

January 14, 2014

Think I need to make a phone call to GCT to get this clarified.  I hope they don't make us get to the international airport on our own!  Thank you for the info.  Much appreciated.

Author: ematluck

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 1999

January 15, 2014

Yes, transportation was provided. We had a day room, actually a conference room, in the hotel, for several hours. Most of us went out to lunch, as we had several hours. The hotel allowed us to use the health club to shower. It was a very long day!

Author: forgerr

Trips Taken: 6
Countries Visited:

Antartcia-China-Italy-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-etc

Traveler Since: 2008

January 15, 2014
When we went in 09 I think, we changed terminals, not airports. GCT had someone there to get us to the correct location. By the time we cked in and had dinner and what not, we had about 2 hrs to kill. We were going to go to town, however , we did not have enough time. Now that think about it, it was an OATS trip. Everything else is the same.

Author: ematluck

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 1999

January 15, 2014

It is definitely a different airport and they are not close to each other. BTW, I think I waited 2 1/2 hours to check in for the international flight home....

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.