Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: grandcircle

Trips Taken: 0

January 14, 2014

Hello Everybody -

We recently purchased a ship which will be used for our new 2015 River Cruise Tour, Bordeaux: Vineyards, Vintages & Chateaux. And we’re excited to be re-christening this ship with a new name.

Franco Guerreiro, President of Grand Circle Cruise Lines, has narrowed down our choices to 4, and we’d like you to help us choose the winner!  Most of our ships in Europe have names that are musically themed. We’ve included the 4 options—and why we believe they would play nicely on Bordeaux’s waterways—below:

1.    M/S River Chanson: For centuries, minstrels and musicians throughout this region of France have moved their audiences with chansons, lyrical songs that chronicle the epic (and typically semi-historical) lives of heroes.

2.    M/S River Cadence: In musical terms, cadence marks the close of a musical phrase or section—much as the river cruise portion of our Bordeaux vacation anchors your visit to this storied region.

3.    M/S River Chanteuse: A female singer who specializes in the chansons referenced above is known as a chanteuse—a woman with the ability to share history and its stories through song.

4.    M/S River Concertina: The concertina is a member of the accordion and squeezebox family, which is a traditional staple of French ballroom music.

What's your vote for the best name?  

Please post your answer on this thread.  We'll announce the winning name the week of January 27th.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Web Community Manager

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

January 14, 2014

I think that Chanson captures the spirit of the region and of GCT.

Author: sealionlady

Trips Taken: 13
Traveler Since: 2001

January 14, 2014

Chanson!  and this trip is at the very top of my list!

Author: candmj

Trips Taken: 9
Traveler Since: 1997

January 14, 2014
I also vote for Chanson.

Author: oldbog

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 1999

January 14, 2014

We will add a vote for Chanson.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

January 14, 2014

M/S River Chanson gets my vote, too. Wouldn't it be lovely if the onboard entertainment included some chanson music!

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

January 14, 2014

My vote goes to Chanson.

Author: hootie

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

China, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Transylvania, Bulgaria, Chech Republic, Slavakia, Bratislava, Egypt, Israel, Cyprus, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Tahiti & French Polynesia/Society Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Bermuda, Alaska, Costa Rica, Mexico, United States, Panama Canal, Caribbean (extensively), Canada/Nova Scotia, Canary Islands, Gibralter, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Vatican City, France, Holland, Belgium, Tasmania, Australia, New Zealand, Ukraine, Russia.

January 14, 2014

I'm with the others...Chanson it is!

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

January 14, 2014

Hottie is back!  Being from the South I, personally would go with Banjo,( i.e,, To Bordeaux with a Banjo on my knee) but since that is not a choice I will go with what all the ladies seem to think is the best choice...We have to remember that Ladies are always correct when it comes to good associations.

Author: jmk63

January 14, 2014

One more vote for Chanson.

Author: grammyflo

January 14, 2014
I have to go against the tide! In all the CD's I have brought back from France, the CONCERTINA is most prevalent in all of them. To me the Concertina typifies the musical heart of France. Whichever name you choose, I would love info on this trip!

Author: lyn

Trips Taken: 10
Traveler Since: 2004

January 14, 2014

I vote for Concertina.  Whatever name is decided, I hope that we get a chance to travel on this ship and participate in the adventure of another river cruise.  Sounds lovely!!

Author: debi

Trips Taken: 5
Countries Visited:

I have been to Africa Tanzania Safari, I video taped it and watch it over and over and its just like being there. I went to Costa Rica and my video camera captures all the sights and sounds you can;t get with a picture. I loved it. I have been to Greece and England. Hawaii, Nevis, St Thomas, St Maarteen, Heart of India

Traveler Since: 2008

January 15, 2014
I like M/S Concertina also

Author: kba

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2009

January 15, 2014

Please cast my vote for Chanson

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

January 15, 2014
Although it sounds more Italian than French, I like the sound of Concertina more than Chanson or the other options.

Author: piercove

Trips Taken: 18
Traveler Since: 2003

January 15, 2014

The trouble with concertina is that it evokes the image of concertina wire.  And a lot of guests will have trouble pronouncing chanteuse.  So my vote also goes to chanson.

Author: captainlarry

Trips Taken: 10

January 15, 2014

Chanson is also hard to pronounce for those of us with a "Hill-Billy Twang". But add my vote to the majority who have voted for Chanson.

Author: merleo

Traveler Since: 1996

January 15, 2014

My vote is for Concertina.

Author: shatzi

Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2009

January 15, 2014

Chanson for me, also!

Author: jandb

Trips Taken: 11

January 15, 2014

Chanson (d'amour), but of course.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.