Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: djoan

Trips Taken: 4
Traveler Since: 2008

July 21, 2010

Thought it might be fun to find out who else in on this trip?

I'm: Joan Middleton from Tucson, AZ and I'm traveling alone on this trip.  I've done this before on the Egypt and Thailand trips last year; but, usually travel with friends.  Looking forward to seeing this part of the world.  I have always wanted to go to Australia; but, I'm disappointed that the Outback extension is not available on this trip.  Oh, well - it still will be a dream trip.  Next, maybe South America - Peru or?

Author: bobincol

October 03, 2010

Hi Joan,

We live in Erie, Colorado and will be on the same Oct 17th trip.

We also were on a November Egypt trip last year. Perhaps we were on the same one.

Were looking forward to this trip as well and will look for you to say hello.

This will be our 3rd trip with GCT.  The first one was a River Cruise in Germany to Amsterdam.

Bob & Veronica

October 07, 2010

Hey,

Nice to hear from you and will see you very soon.  I'm still obsessing over what to use for carry on.  Restrictions on size has me worried as I need to have a wheeled one.  Looking forward to meeting you.  Joan

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 07, 2010

This is what I used on my last trip: http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cfm?product_ID=13091

It weighs 5.8 lbs and the size is no problem. I got what I needed (shoes, camera, liquids, one set of clothes) into it and it was easy getting through the airports and stowing it on the planes. Of course, I had a purse too. 

I used a 19-inch wheeled (about the same weight)  carryon for the Aus/NZ/Fiji trip. My 19-inch wheelie was no larger than some of the duffle type carryons others used.

Wheeled carryons up to 22 inches are legal but the problem is the weight limit on Qantas and Air New Zealand. The larger the carryon, the heavier and if you use a 10 lb carryon, that leaves only five pounds for your stuff.

They did not weigh the carryons in LAX but did on the domestic flights.

Don't obsess, go and have a great time, it's a wonderful trip. I thought the Shangra La Resort in Fiji was heavenly. If you like massage, get one there.

October 08, 2010

Many Thanks Luisa!  I ordered the bag you used since it was slightly smaller than the one I have.  Now all I have to do is pray it arrives in time!  Only 8 more days til departure - Wow.  Thanks again, Joan

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. Ireland

Traveler Since: 2006

October 10, 2010

Hi Joan,

I hope the rollaboard arrives on time too, but it's a week away so it should. If it doesn't ,use the one you have if it's only slightly larger. You can pack what you need and weigh it on your bathroom scale.

Reading your posts brings back good memories for me. I had dreaded the long flight but the service and food on Qantas was good and there were so many movie options that I dozed and walked and watched movies and the time passed quicker than I'd expected.

I enjoyed all three countries, but especially liked Christchurch, Queenstown and our drive to Milford Sound -- the scenery was so beautiful and so different from Aus. The Arts Center in Christchurch is great for quality souvenir shopping or just admiring good work.

You mentioned South America. I'm taking the Discover South America trip in March but not taking the Peru pre-trip extension. A friend did both and loved both but I'm unsure at this point about Machu Pichu, but things could change.

Happy travels

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.