Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: kokofodobe

Trips Taken: 22
Countries Visited:

15 Trips with GCT/OAT

Traveler Since: 2002

December 02, 2013

We are booked for January 19th to Antarctica with pretrip.  I normally take a carry on that I really carry, however since we will be lugging large jackets I would like to take a small rolling carry on say 21" or so.  We will be taking special gloves, hats and camera equipment that I would not put in my checked luggage.  Has any one taken a small rolling carry on without any problems.  Any suggestions or advice would certainly be appreciated.  

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The azores, Antarctica, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

December 06, 2013

Most airlines restrict carryon size to either 22x14x9 or 22x16x10 and weight to approximately 26 pounds although some will allow up to 40.  I did not do this trip with OAT but my provider gave parkas as part of the trip which were in the cabins when we boarded the ship.  The only problem I see with the size you want to take is to make sure that if there is NO room in the overhead racks when you board that you are sure that it will fit under your seat so as to not be subject to having your carry on "gate checked" if you are concerned with keeping its contents with you..  Fortunately I was able to board early and did not have any problems; however, later arrivals did have problems since most everyone had parkas and other bulky stuff that filled the overhead bins early on causing later arrivals to have to "gate check" their carryon  things.. I had purchased some double-closure two gallon baggies before my trip and I found that by putting the parka liner in one baggie and the shell in another on the way home,  they fit pretty well in my check luggage when all the air was squeezed out... ...

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.