Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: iblog2@hotmail.c...

Trips Taken: 0

November 08, 2013

It absolutely amazes me how GCT would sell my 89yo ailing father an $8000 trip over the phone with NO option to re-think.   They took the money then booked him on a 23hour flight which would have killed him.  We talked him out of the trip within a few days but no refund is available.  Just take the cash from an old man who is getting a bit senile and wishes he was younger than he is

Author: grandcircle

November 08, 2013

Hello iblog -

Thank you for taking the time to comment.  Somebody will be following up with you offline.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

Author: luisa

Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 09, 2013

How would the company know that he is 89-years-old? Did he tell them? How did he learn about the trip? Has he traveled with GCT?. Has he been diagnosed as having dementia? If so, I doubt that GCT would not refund the money.

There is an option to rethink. Trips can be canceled for a full refund within a certain time frame, you should have acted immediately if what you claim is true. 

I find the post questionable. No trips taken, another e-mail address as a member name. More spam?

Author: pauline

Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

November 09, 2013

Luisa, I had the same reaction.  And I'm trying to think of a trip that would cost that amount of money for one person.  GCT doesn't "sell" trips; people buy them.  They don't advertise; people hear by word of mouth and then approach GCT.  If you get e-mail advising of a trip, it's because you are already listed with them by your own choice. 

And how did this person get access to the forum?  Michelle recently posted that people have to register. 

Author: test

November 09, 2013

Luisa,

Please don't jump to conclusions on the Email address indicating something nefarious. Weh you first register with GCT, it defaults your Email  address as a user name, until you go into My Profile to change it. If the person just registered to post this issue, they also would not have a trip taken.

There are definitely things unsaid in the post however. I know that, in the past, there was a policcy on phone bookings that gave a no risk cancellation period with a certain period of time ( 2 or 3 days), but I can't find that in the terms and conditions. Barring that, unless this was a last minute booking (less than 90 days before departure),  normal  cancellation penalties would apply.. Having dealt  with GCT over many years, I have to believe that,if the offspring called GCT reasonably stating that there was a problem, that GCT would transfer the issue to a supervisor who would act to resolve it. 

I'm sure that this will be resolved to the OPs satisfaction, but, unless he/she replies, we will never know.

My apologies. I set up a test ID with the username of 'test' to check the registration defaults and posted this reply before going back to my real username of 'nanandpapa'.

Author: suepoor1234

Countries Visited:

All the states except Hawaii; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

November 09, 2013

I find this strange as well.  One has to register to get on the Forum, but a really angry person could jump through all the hoops to do this.  However, why the individual didn't first contact OAT/GCT and have a RATIONAL talk with a manager seems odd.  I see this message as one of three things:  getting attention of the Forum Moderator to get some action; an unhappy former customer making a stink because he didn't get his way; or, a competitor trying to make trouble.  The first two are easy to discuss and perhaps correct.  

I don't recall ever being solicited by telephone to purchase a trip; on the contrary, I phone OAT/GCT to inquire about or book a trip.  I get catalogs and other mailings as well as email alerts, but I have signed up for those.  And yes, there are trips that cost that much and more;  e.g., the Antarctica trip.  A higher-end trip with business class and add-on air can easily cost that much and more. 

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

November 09, 2013

The only telephone calls I have ever received from GCT have been by appointment to make a reservation for a trip, an appointment which I have made.  Or to offer me an upgrade on my flight for a trip that is already scheduled.  Or to invite me to attend a meeting or to partake in a focus group in Boston.  Although those are usually done via e-mail.

Posting this diatribe on the forum seems to be making trouble.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

November 09, 2013

I agree what everyone else except the poster says is valid and true.  But, there are $8000 trips, just for a river cruise or small ship cruise at the height of the travel season, just saying, adding in travel protection, adding air from perhaps the west coast, or adding the pre or post trips or both.  You can rack up $8000 in no time.  Most of our trips for 2 without business class has gone into the $17,000+ range--divide that by 2, you got $8000+.  And flights from the West or Southwest to Europe, or from mid-west, southwest to South Pacific or Asia are 23+ hours--from East coast is 29 hours, all with layovers. 

The issue is that this man must have enough memory to make a call, talk with the GCT booking agent, and seal a deal.  I know people with mild cognitive impairment.  There are days and weeks  when you'd never know it.  Maybe he didn't take the travel protection.  But, GCT does have a cancellation policy without it--by the number of days to departure.  In the end, one doesn't get much back.  And that may be the case here--too many days gone by until someone discovered this man is ready to leave.

However, I believe with those of you who think this is bogus.  On this forum we  have come across a few who switched names so we couldn't tell it was him/her  but most of you outsmarted the person, and so did GCT.  Could be someone fishing for some action.  S/he got it, I think.

Author: janice!

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

many

November 09, 2013

I don't understand how anyone can make judgments about this situation with so little information about it. Iblog2 seems to be angry and upset; possibly with good reason but we really have no way of knowing. Posting a complaint in a forum is not the best way to deal with this situation but who can claim to have always handled complaints the best way.

A question was asked about how the company would know the father's age. I believe they ask for a traveler's birthdate the first time a trip is reserved and store the date in their records.

Pauline wrote "GCT doesn't "sell" trips; people buy them." I don't understand this comment because selling trips is exactly what they do. Also, they do advertise in publications and they do make marketing calls to  people who have previously traveled with them. If the father had previously traveled with them, he could have purchased the trip after being called by GCT; this is just one many pieces of information we don't know about the situation.

A question was asked about how the OP got access to the forum. It's relatively easy for anyone to do an online registration and then post in the forum. This is why we see the occasional spam postings. Thanks to nanaandpapa for explaining why so many new posters have an email address as a username.

Countries Visited:

November 09, 2013

janice_

What I meant was that GCT doesn't make "cold calls" to sell their trips.   If you have indicated an interest by filling out a survey or questionnaire, then they might call you.  But they don't pick out people at random to call. 

I admit to making a mistake with regard to the dollar cost of trips.  For some reason, $8,000 seemed much higher than $7,000.  I'm not sure why.

Pauline

Author: halfpint

Trips Taken: 27
Traveler Since: 1989

November 09, 2013

Also, just to add my two cents.  I did not see in the original post that gc called him, just that the man did the reservation over the phone.  No indication of who called who.  However I do think once they get the reservation, you are in there pretty solid unless you did the insurance and then I believe you get credit toward a future trip within a year.  That is why I asked once with my advanced age, mid 80's but STILL WITH IT what if and then mentioned could one of my family take the trip.  A LOT of vital questions.  Am sure they will straighten it out, however maybe not TOTALLY to the customers satisfaction.  Guess that is why I am always grateful when the trip is over and done and  went without a hitch SO FAR!!!!

Author: patmckinney

Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

29 countries

Traveler Since: 2009

November 09, 2013

Gosh...what an interesting mystery the original post is.

I was kind of curious at the fact that you can almost tell the entire e-mail address from the poster:

iblog2@Hotmail.c

The last part looks like a .com.  

It's a little disconcerting that the writer  used what might be their actual e-mail for a rather public posting.

That aside, it's a little hard to believe that they did not contact GCT before placing the post.  I know that the first contact I would make when dissatisfied  with service or product is the company.  If that fails, sometimes more open sharing of a problem sometimes gets action.

The post is an interesting deviation from the routine.

Author: gaynell

Traveler Since: 2005

November 09, 2013

I find the problem presented by this poster to be completely plausible.  If you have dealt with an aging parent who still has many abilities (can make phone calls, commitments, plans, etc.) but has lost others (the ability to sequence dates or time, sense about money, good judgement) then you can understand this dilemma. A stroke or two can put a person in this position, and it is not easy for those who have to pick up the pieces. I could write literally pages of stories similar to this poster's tale after my own personal experiences with my mother as she aged! You would not even believe the chaos she managed to create, or the mischief she got into.

I don't know whether this is a "real" post or not, but if it is real, the person who posted truly has my sympathy.

Author: luisa

Countries Visited:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Monoco, Croatia, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji

Traveler Since: 2006

November 10, 2013

I don't doubt the possibility about the father booking the trip. What I question is the statement that they cancelled within a few days and there was NO option for a refund. Unless the trip was leaving very shortly there would be some refund and unless the policy has changed, you do have some time after booking to cancel because I've done it.

If it had been my father (who did strange things in his old age) I would have gotten a letter from his doctor about his age and state of his health, physical and mental. I can't believe that GCT would not work it out with the family.

Apparently since the man was able to book and pay $8000 either by check or credit card, he is managing his own finances, 

Nanaandpapa, the reason I thought it was bogus is that there have been several first-time, no trips taken posts with e-mail addresses recently, 

Author: franniepat

Trips Taken: 9
Countries Visited:

Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Costa Rica, Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Western US parks.

Traveler Since: 2008

November 10, 2013

I agree-Dad is with it enough to make a phone call and finance payment. There are plenty of 89 year people who are competent. If family feels he isn't, then it is up to them to persue legal venues of declaring incompetency.

Author: grandcircle

November 12, 2013

Hello Iblog -

Thank you for posting.

We have been trying to contact you since you started this thread but we don't seem to have your information on file. 

Please send your contact details & a good time to reach you to gctforummoderator@gct.com as we'd like to speak with you about your father's cancellation.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

GCT/GCCL Forum Moderator

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.