Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: mertziek

Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2010

November 04, 2013

For those of you who have been there, what souvenirs (ie. hats, t-shirt, sweatshirts, decals, etc) are available for purchase in Antarctica and can Antarctica labeled items be found in Ushuaia?

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

November 04, 2013

The only place we had a chance to buy souvenirs was at Port Lockroy. and is the only place as far as I know.   If you land there and they are open you will find all kinds of stuff from hats, t-shirts, mugs, patches, etc., etc.   Also, in Ushusia, you can also find lots of stuff with Antarctica on it...Port Lockroy, to my knowledge, is also the only place you can mail post cards.  Depending on the time of year, it may take months for the cards to arrive at their destination since they have to go to the UK first and it also depends when a ship may be leaving the port when not iced in..We mailed some in February 2011 and finally received them in November 2012!

This is also a place where you can get an Antarctica stamp on your passport which is available just outside the gift shop.

Author: ematluck

Trips Taken: 12
Traveler Since: 1999

November 04, 2013

We stopped at a Chilean base in addition to Port Lockroy. So now I have two overpriced sweatshirts that I cherish and wear all the time. In both cases, the money goes to good causes- maintenance of Port Lockroy and to poor women in Santiago. Ushuaia mostly had "End of the World" stuff, not Antarctica. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy what you want- you are unlikely to get back there! Although I would go again in a second.... Regarding postcards, we bought the cards and stamps on the ship and they took care of it. Same for passport stamps. My postcard was received in about four weeks! You will love the trip!

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

November 09, 2013

Although I did buy some "high end" shirts in Antarctica, an alternative is to buy patches and sew them on your own lower cost clothes (t-shirts, sweat shirts, polo shirts, etc.)  I bought some very nice Antarctica and "Land's End" (rather than "End of the World") patches in Ushuaia and had them sewn on some polo shirts when I returned home.. 

Author: mrt04

Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2009

November 25, 2013

We made a stop at Base Esperanza and had an opportunity to buy souvenirs there.   We would have to say that the ones at Port Lockroy were much better--selection, quality, etc.  We found quite a few souvenir items, with Antarctica logo, in Ushuaia. 

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.