Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: jayge

Trips Taken: 11
Traveler Since: 2004

October 22, 2013

Would like to hear from anyone who has experience traveling both in hotel stays on pre and post trips and on the rivercruises with diabetes.  I have recently been told I have pre diabetes and also want information on airline meals too.  It would be very much appreciated.

Author: nanaandpapa

Trips Taken: 15
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 22, 2013

I am diabletic (Type 2) and have never have had a problem with the food or my sugars. Just make sure that you keep up with your meds, check your sugars and don't overdo sugars, starches or alchohol. My wife is not diabetic but is on a strict low/no carbohydrate diet for weight control reasons, similar to a diabetic diet and has had no problem sticking to it even in countries where carbs are a main staple, such as India, China and Thailand. For land tours make a detailed list of your restrictions for your PD/TL, making multiple copies, just in case they get left behind with a hotel or restaurant. He/she will make sure that the information is passed on and that you will get acceptable meals. On a river cruise, do the same thing, but ask to meet with the restaurant manger or head chef on day 1 as well. They will give you options for all meals. The servers will also be made aware of this so that they will make sure that you get the correct meal.  Airlines are another matter. We have never had any luck with them providing adequate low carbohydrate meals. Plan on bringing backup food for long flights. With security restriction, canned foods are not an option, but pre-packaged cheese, roasted soy beans and fresh fruits will keep adequatelly. Just be careful on bringing fresh fruits and vegatables back into the US and of other countries restrictions on imporst. If in doubt dispose of excess on the plane. You are not in a tiny minority and the PD/TLs are used to dealing with this. You should have no problems maintaining your diet without adversely affecting your enjoyment of the trip;

Author: wattsed

Trips Taken: 3
Countries Visited:

All seven continents, 113 countries and all states except Hawaii and Idaho.Plus some interesting places that are not countries such as The zores, Falkland Islands, South Georgia, etc.

Traveler Since: 2010

October 22, 2013

The above advice is very good...My wife is diabetic and also has an iodine/shell fish allergy.  We have never had a problem if people needing to know(TL, kitchen, servers, etc.) are informed on the front end.  Some allergies, such as peanut allergy for one, are things not to be messed with and if the staff is informed they make every effort to comply with your restricted diet and, being informed on the front end, they are also made aware of liability considerations.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 22, 2013

I was on a river cruise and shared a table with a person who needed a gluten-free diet.  She had let them know ahead, so the kitchen was prepared and could make her baked goods without gluten  -  breads, rolls, cookies, etc.  Those have have toured those tiny kitchens are amazed at what comes out of them.

Author: singsling

Traveler Since: 1995

October 29, 2013

We just did two trips back to back.  I informed both PD's after receiving their email, as well as when we got on the ships that my husband had food allergies, and then met with the restaurant manager.  He promptly got his sheet out and showed me he had my husband's information I gave to our PD's.  At each lunch or dinner meal, he was told he would be receiving a special dish if what was served as his selection would not be good for him.  E.g., if he chose the chicken, but it had cream sauce, his sauce was made separate and without the ingredient.  That goes for all the appetizers, second course, and desserts as well.  The waiters told him at the beginning of the meal most of the time what he would get instead.  Once at breakfast he took a roll that had walnuts on the top.  It was not evident that walnuts were the "trimming".  The waiter assigned to our table immediately told my husband he should not eat that roll, and he was able to get another.  The breakfast buffrets,for my husband,had plenty of items he could choose from that fit his dietary needs.  This was the case on the river ship, small ship,  and hotels.  During included lunches or dinners, the PD had arranged for a special meal or at least asked my husband if what was to be served was okay.  Even the home hosted meal was made special for my husband's diet.  When creamed soups were served, he was served the same "creamed soup' made without the cream.  If small bits of cheese were served, his serving had a substiture.  He is diabetic II as well, but diet restrictions are not an issue with him but food allergies are.

Having said all that, in the past, river ships especially, even telling the waiter or managr and PD, he would never be given a clear broth soup instead of cream soups.  We just about gave up, but I started also asking the GCT booking consultant to have the diet requiremtents in the  reservation notes.  Since then it's been much better.

As for airline food, when he was first diagnosed with Type II diabetes, we were goiing on an overseas trip from Asia to US very soon.  We ordered diabetic food.  He said never again.  He'd eat whatever he could from whatever he was served before he would order diabetic on a flight again.  And he has stuck with this.  If he cannot eat an item on the tray, he will eat what he can; he doesn't eat much while traveling on a plane anyway, so it's no big deal for him.  His readings are well within the range so he doesn't worry.

Author: pauline

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 30, 2013

It varies.  I used to travel with a friend who kept kosher, and she would order the vegetarian meal.  She told me once that her husband used to order the kosher meal, but he said it was so terrible that she never tried it. 

Carol Channing had Type 1 diabetes, and she brought her own food.  All nicely packed in containers.  But that was before all this security and, of course, she traveled first class.

When traveled for business, the company's travel office used to order vegetarian meals for me.  That was at my request, like aisle seats.  I'd found meats on some planes inedible, so I'd end up just eating the vegetables.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.