Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: gaynell

GCT Trips Taken: 4
OAT Trips Taken: 8
Traveler Since: 2005

October 19, 2013

We just returned from The Rivieras: France, Italy, and the Isles.  Travelers who are considering this trip need to be aware that the phone operators in Boston do not have accurate information about the various cabins on the Arethusa.  Contrary to the pre-trip information we were given, cabins 201 and 202 do NOT have windows large and low enough to look out of.  The portholes in these cabins are small and high.  If this doesn't bother you, and you are expecting portholes, it isn't an issue, but if you are expecting to be able to see out of actual windows be sure to book different cabins. The misinformation from the phone representatives, who were undoubtedly just repeating what they had been told, caused us major problems on our trip. Just be aware of this situation before you book and choose your cabin.

Author: gobuckeyes

OAT Trips Taken: 9

October 20, 2013

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 20, 2013

As one who has, on several ocaasions, taken one of the cheapest cabins on a cruise, to reduce the cost of the trip, I am not at all surprised by the accomodations. These cabins are $300 per person cheaper than the next cheapest cabins. On the six night cruise, this saves $100/night. For this I would expect to sacrifice. If you carefully look at the web site, you can clearly see the 2 high and small port holes. Given the time that you generally spend in the cabin, I might choose one of these cabins, as opposed to spending up to $800 per person for a better cabin.

October 21, 2013

Nanaandpapa, the issue here is not money........It is the reliability of information. When I booked this trip, the booking agent on the phone assured me that this cabin had real windows, not high portholes. Although this might not be important to all travelers, it was important to me.  I was very specific in my questions, and asked: Does this cabin have high portholes?  I made it plain that if so, I did not want to book this cabin, but would prefer to choose another cabin or another date. I was firmly assured that the cabin had regular windows!

I'd like to think that I wasn't lied to intentionally, but rather, that the information the phone operator had at hand was simply incorrect. I post the experience here so that those who plan to book this trip in the future will be very careful when making their reservations.

Author: pauline

GCT Trips Taken: 11
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

Traveler Since: 1999

October 21, 2013

If you looked at the pictures of the Main Deck cabins on the website, they show a high up porthole, plus a door that opens to the outside.  But the deck plan shows that the two cabin numbers you gave are at the very front of the ship and much smaller than the others, almost as small as the two single cabins on the lowest deck.  It might have been a good idea to question the person you spoke with as to why there was such a price difference.

October 21, 2013

And it might have been a good idea for the person I spoke with to have given me accurate information!!!

Actually, although some of the drawings might look otherwise, the cabins on that main deck are almost identical in size. The rectangular shape of the room is simply turned the other way.

Countries Visited:

England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, China, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Canada, Russia, Ukraine

October 21, 2013

But the pictures seem to show a door to an outside balcony as well as that porthole high up

October 21, 2013

The doors leading to balconies are on the Upper Deck cabins, Pauline.  The Main Deck cabins we are speaking of do not have any doors except the solid door which leads to the inside hallway.

Besides that solid door, they have two portholes which you cannot see out of unless you are over six feet tall. That may not be a problem for some, but it is for others.

My point is that, in spite of my very specific questions about these two cabins, the reservations agent gave me incorrect information, and that mistake impacted the quality of our trip. Someone needs to address that issue, and to make sure that in the future the reservations agents have the correct data on each cabin on the ship.

Countries Visited:

October 21, 2013

Then the pictures on the website are incorrect.  Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible), each one is identified as a Main Deck Cabin.  I was confused, since they showed balconies with chairs.

October 21, 2013

Pauline, I just looked at the cabin pictures on the trip website, and I believe you are right.  I think the pictures which are labeled "main deck" cabins, showing a lower porthole as well as a balcony with chairs, are actually of upper deck cabins.  Apparently the pictures are mislabeled, for as far as I know there were no balconies in any of the main deck cabins. 

This picture mix up isn't relevant to my original problem, but does point out the need for OAT/GCT to check and double check the information they are distributing, both on line and on the telephone!

Countries Visited:

October 22, 2013

And usually there's a schematic of the cabin layout, but I didn't see one on the website.  You were right to post that warning, since other people may depend on the picture. 

Did you also post a review?  People depend more on that and it stays on.  Unlike these postings which disappear fairly quickly.  We all know how few people read these.

Author: grandcircle

GCT Trips Taken: 0

October 22, 2013

Hello Gaynell -

Thank you for taking the time to post.

We apologize for any miscommunication around the height of the portholes in the Main Cabins on the Arethusa.  We will be looking to making that clearer on our website.

Pauline, you are right - the photos are labeled Main Cabin are incorrect.  The photos are of our Upper Deck cabins.  This will be updated momentarily.

Kind Regards,
Michelle
GCCL Forum Moderator

Author: gloriakp

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Traveler Since: 2009

November 10, 2013

On our first trip on the Arethusa we were in cabin 201 because it was the last one available.  We did not mind the porthole or lack of balcony, only the noise from the anchor chain.   Our recent trip was in cabin 308 which was delightful.  Again when we booked almost a year in advance, there were only two cabins available and our friends booked the other one.  The Arethusa is a delightful ship with a fantastic crew.  I'd love to spend a month aboard, even if we just cruised in circles.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.