Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: golfski

GCT Trips Taken: 6
OAT Trips Taken: 5
Traveler Since: 2006

October 11, 2013

How large are the groups on the french River Cruises especially the Provence and Chardonnay.  How many trip leaders on these ships?  Thanks as we're hoping for small groups as adverstised by GCT the last few years.

Author: tpreminger

GCT Trips Taken: 3
OAT Trips Taken: 3
Traveler Since: 1999

October 11, 2013

As I read the available information, there is ONE program director on board for the 46 or so guests.  Local guides handle the touring off the ship.

In my experience the PDs are pretty adept at managing the group.   Since the majority of GCT/ OAT travellers tend to be experienced and flexible, few need a lot of hand holding.

OAT groups tends to be smaller.

I will be on the Provence at the end of the month.

Author: mary jayne halli...

GCT Trips Taken: 27
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 1989

October 11, 2013

It has been my experience that BEFORE the use of the whispers groups understandibly had to be smaller.  However with the availability of the whispers ;(intercoms), you can be a distance away from your guide and still be informed.

Author: avalarue

GCT Trips Taken: 8
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Traveler Since: 2008

October 12, 2013

We were on the Chardonnay in 2011 and had one PD for our group of 44. We didn't have any problems and often the whole group did not go out altogether. I'm sure you will enjoy this trip. We loved it!

October 14, 2013

Thanks all for responding. We will be on the Provence leaving USA 10/28.  We really don't like the whispers due to ongoing technical issues we seem to have had on several trips, but perhpas they have improved and our own earpieces may help.  I'm sure it will be a great trip. We have not seen France other than three days in Paris many years ago, and a brief stop in Strasbourg on the Rhine/Mosel riverboat trip.

October 14, 2013

OOPS, we are on the Chardonnay, not the Provence.

Author: nanaandpapa

GCT Trips Taken: 12
OAT Trips Taken: 4
Countries Visited:

Aruba, Austria, Australia, Bermuda, Belgium, Botswana, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Rep., Egypt, England, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Spain, St. Marten (fr), St. Martin (nd), Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Vatican, Zimbabwe

Traveler Since: 2002

October 15, 2013

For The Seine: Paris to Normandy, aboard the Bizet, there is a maximum of 120 passengers, divided into 3 groups, with one Program Director (PD) assigned to each. For optional activities, where not everyone goes, generally one PD stays aboard for the passengers staying behind and his/her travelers will be divided between the other 2 groups. For shore excursions with a local guide, the PD would also go along, providing 2 leaders for each group of approximately 40. At no time were the number of travelers more than could be well cared for.

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.